• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony Imaging Edge for Iphone...

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Well, I'm glad to see Sony has made their wifi app useless again. I liked it for almost six months there.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
What happened? I have not used it in a long time.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I made the mistake of updating. Now it doesn't recognize my camera.

Edit: I see they've made Imaging Edge Desktop useless too. It crashed while writing my changes to disk.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I know, right? It is just not that hard to do regression testing these days, and I think Sony has the budget for it.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
The really sad thing is, Sony has (or HAD!) the best app of all the camera companies I've tried. And it still sucks.

The company that actually invests some money in making a quality mobile app will have a big leg up in the new decade. Younger people don't want to mess with cards.

Edit: My phone, which is going on four years old, has 256gb of storage, and I haven't lost a picture. I've had two SD cards fail in four years. It's time put some storage space in the camera, with a quality app to transfer photos to phone or desktop. It's 2020, start acting like it, Sony!

Last edited:

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
Most of the hardware changes for the A9 II were in file transfer tech, anticipating the needs of pros at the Olympics. Many DPR types were disappointed, but getting files out are critical to professional sports photographers. The sorry state of the camera companies attempts at getting pics from the camera to the internet is a favorite hobby horse of Thom Hogan.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
The really sad thing is, Sony has (or HAD!) the best app of all the camera companies I've tried. And it still sucks.

The company that actually invests some money in making a quality mobile app will have a big leg up in the new decade. Younger people don't want to mess with cards.

Edit: My phone, which is going on four years old, has 256gb of storage, and I haven't lost a picture. I've had two SD cards fail in four years. It's time put some storage space in the camera, with a quality app to transfer photos to phone or desktop. It's 2020, start acting like it, Sony!
Problem with that idea is the convenience is at the cost of obsolescence. ALL flash memory will fail. It simply get's used up with excessive writes. That's why cards fail, SSD's fail, and if a camera used internal memory, a professionally used camera that will see 100,000+ shots annually, will develop dead cells. You can map around them like SSDs, but now you're adding complication.
One of the reasons you haven't lost a picture on your phone is likely the bad cells of flash memory are mapped. Or you just haven't hammered on the flash memory continuously.

Kirkp

TalkEmount Regular
I also couldn’t connect my cameras to either my iPad or iPhone after the ImagingEdge upgrade. I finally got everything working after much cursing. I don’t recall all the steps, but it involved resetting connections in settings and removing the previous connections for the cameras from the app. I think I also resorted to removing the app, rebooting to clear out memory, then reinstalling. I should have kept notes on exactly what I did because it wasn’t intuitive or straightforward. The app seems to work fine now though.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Thanks for the info, Kirkp!

Top Bottom