Sony ILCE QX1 Potentially Conquering All 4 Frontiers

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by chokia, Dec 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chokia

chokia New to TalkEmount

Dec 26, 2014
    Sony Lenstyle QX1 has been released to the market for a while now and yet it has been underrated for its true potential in shaping the world of photography and videography. Due to its size, light weight and unbeatable price (as cheapest APSC cam) this camera could revolutionize the way we look at all conventional photography techniques in the whole new level. Here's how:-

The Land
    KlQFWkG.
    Small China made 3 Axis gimbal for Phantom and Go Pro is powerful enough to hold QX1 158g+67g Sony SEL16f2.8 Prime Wide Angle Pancake. Use Sony Pistol Grip GP-VPT1 which has buttons to snap photo, start/stop video or even zoom in/out (works with zoom lens) and this can replace any ridiculous looking robotic arm or body stabilizer like Ronin.

The Sea
    w686qLZ.
    Can either send QX1 with Liquipel or similar nano coating treatment or use Sony SportsPack 5M waterproof housing made for camcorder. Insert in your QX1 and Xperia phone in this housing and view the display via the side reflector. Like the pistol grip, the housing can be connected via QX1 multiport to control Shoot Photo/Start/Record Video with easy access buttons.

The Sky
    dyXB0Gw.
    DJI Phantom 2 Vision operates in 2 bands 2.4Ghz & 5.8Ghz, since QX1 uses 2.4Ghz we can use any dualband wifi extender (TPlink usb powered) to add longer range and prevent interference (if any). For FPV can use the Xperia phone or Google Glass (we need to see where the drone flying to anticipate the video it records or picture it takes) Since this is photography forum, we should emphasis on getting useable shot above anything else. Having said that, RCDH has invented a nice looking retractable landing skid to prevent skid or props interframed in the footage. Detach the gimbal from the pistol grip and fix it to the phantom and we are ready to shoot quality aerial video & photo in any light condition (including night time) due to APSC sensor + Wide Angle Prime lens.

The Space
    axi74dD.
    QX1 can be used without lens attached, this has made mounting telescope for astrophotography possible. We can trick QX1 to have aperture wide open, 30" and up to ISO1600 in S Mode and lock it with lens cap closed. Only thing it focuses the cap instead of ∞. I wonder how well it can capture Milkyway with just S mode alone else we can just preoccupy ourselves shooting other celestial beings like Nebulae, Planets & Galaxies while waiting for Playmemories upgrade the true Manual mode.

The Logistic
    3IUamjf.
    Other than preventing skid and props in the shot, the retractable landing skid has also revolutionized the carrying bag/case for the phantom. Since now the skid is collapsible, it's possible to put phantom with other cameraman essential devices in one slim stylish bag without looking like potential terrorist carrying weapon case at the airport.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Seems like marketing material. Do you work for Sony?

Anyway, while I agree that the form factor is nice and has some true potential, I don't see it changing anything.

For cinematography applications, the 24 Mbit/s AVCHD codec simply won't be sufficient. It's a bad codec. I already shot a commercial for a local cinema on a NEX-camera using the same codec, and achieving the quality needed for such a big screen was almost impossible using the NEX's video feed. I'd take a Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera over any E-mount video camera any day.

And breaking down what you say about photography:

I can already mount telescopes to any E-mount camera out there, what's the advantage of the QX? I don't even get any controls without using a touchscreen phone, and that's the last thing I want to do when I'm out at freezingly cold nights.

Size and weight? When taking my usual four lenses, two to three flashes, a tripod and tons of accessories, the size of the camera is my last concern - especially when E-mount cameras are already extremely small.

Oh, and there are underwater housings for NEXes too.

Not wanting to say the QX1 has no place in the photography or cinematography world. I'm just saying that it's NOT underrated, it just has advantages which only come to play in VERY specific situations.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, by the way, the "space" advertising shot is complete nonsense. Why?

1. It shows the interface we see on the phone, supposedly from the QX1 on the telescope. How can the telescope be in the frame, then? Also, no telescope has such a wide fov. Wait, it's a second QX1 behind the telescope, you say? But ...

2. ... a live view feed in any current camera is NOT able to show such an image. The viewfinder will simply turn to black, period. AF in those conditions? Forget it as well.

3. AWB (auto white balance) is not gonna work in such conditions. You would never get these colors with this setting.

4. The +3 stop indicator at the bottom implies that this is simply a screenshot taken during the day with these settings and photoshopped over this image. Of course it has been done this way, but please, just think about how you do it next time. Oh, and 16:9 4,2 MP JPEGs? Which serious photography enthusiast would ever shoot at such settings?

It's simply incredibly obvious that this image consists of three stock images, a screenshot and a QX1 product shot ...

In the DJI Phantom 2 graphic, there's also a huge mistake with the depth of field - the drone is already out of focus while the camera mounted to it still is sharp. Also, the drone itself is edited VERY poorly. You don't even need to look close to see how the magic wand in photoshop wasn't the perfect choice for this subject.

In the last image, all the proportions are wrong. In the second image, it's all but obvious that the guy is NOT holding the camera (the hand strap is empty). Buying and photoshopping stock images is fine, but please, do it right.

Whoever you are - if you come to a forum looking to spread advertising for free, please at least make sure that the advertising material is good. I work at an ad agency myself, and material like this would NEVER pass our quality control. I didn't even look close at these images, and only in the small size they're posted here in the forum, so these mistakes are pretty obvious to anybody with just a tiny little bit of common sense.

If I got it wrong and you don't work in any way for Sony, please forgive me my hopefully not too offensive words and please tell me where you got these images.

4. chokia

chokia New to TalkEmount

Dec 26, 2014
    Im not working with Sony period

Ok this post was previously deleted by the mod thinking of it's spam. If i were to just write my idea, the post wont be interesting. Those items are actually in my wishlist to compliment my QX1. I need to carefully choose them after doing some research s so they wont be bane for me to transport and most importantly must be stylish.

Those who own NEX or any emount camera may feel redundancy of purchasing QX1 due to its lacklustre of features, i completely understand. QX1 is cheap in the event of drone flyway or lost.

5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Let's be nice guys.

The QX1 is a fascinating device, just not sure I would ever want it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I totally agree. That's probably what most of us think.

Thanks @ the mod who deleted it. I'm sorry, but this reads like (really bad) marketing. If you just presented YOUR personal idea, the post would not be boring, but rather a good start to take on a conversation.

So are these images actually marketing material made by Sony, or did you photoshop them yourself? In the latter case, where did you get the images you stitched together? To me, they look like official marketing material, especially with the Sony Style logo on the top left. I already reported the images to Sony (not because you posted them here, just because they're incredibly bad), so they hopefully will take a closer look at any images they publish in the future.

Next time, please make clear where the images come from, and just use a little more casual language. Words like "revolutionize" or sentences like "[...] and yet it has been underrated for its true potential in shaping the world of photography and videography." won't make your idea more credible.

Again, I'm sorry for any offense you might have taken by me. It's not my intention to threaten you in any way. Basically, I even agree with your points, just the way you presented them seemed far too marketing-y. Heck, I wouldn't even write a marketing text to read that much like a marketing text ...

8. chokia

chokia New to TalkEmount

Dec 26, 2014
    It's ok if you dont like how i presented my idea. I dont owe you any explanation why i have the idea or even to continue to debate how the graphics were created in the first place because i dont work in advertising or even intended for C&C session on my photoshop skill. It's powerpoint 100% no photoshop being used there. And Thank you for reporting to Sony. Infact i always tweeted them whenever i have ideas including these 5 graphics. Hopefully they'll get the idea what consumer wants at least what i want. Your apology accepted btw.

Please continue discussion on QX1 and what it can do, cause it took me a while to gather information above from various forums and sites being put together in that 5 graphics.

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No, you don't owe me anything. But as someone who has some experience working in this industry, let me give you one advice: Be VERY careful with these things. You can write whatever you want, but with the images, it's dangerous.

Because I'm pretty sure you don't have the rights to use most of these images. The product photos are probably out of their press photo pool. I worked a few years at a technology focused magazine, and I can tell you that no company allows you to modify any of their product images, so you already broke that agreement. I don't know if you shot the diver photo, the cityscape, the night landscape and the boxing scene yourself, but if not (and if you didn't buy them), there's a high chance you are not allowed to use them in composites. Even most creative commons licenses do not allow this.

Even worse - the Sony Style logo (it doesn't matter if it's an official logo or one you created) is trademarked, you are not allowed to use it, period. The rights of the product renderings in the last shot probably belong to the ad agency who rendered these, and most ad agencies are protecting their rights as actively as they can.

I experienced too many horror stories over the last couple of years, maybe I'm just a little too careful. But just be a little cautious when it comes to making composites with images you didn't create yourself from scratch (or bought from a stock photo agency and carefully read the license agreement).

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Locking this thread before it gets out of hand.

Civility is the key here. We don't mind opinions, and expressing them, but be respectful.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.