Sony ILCE-7R (a7r, alpha 7r) Remote control of video/movie

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by yoftby, Dec 23, 2014.

1. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    I am seriously considering getting an ILCE-7R, but the information I'm getting from Sony is unclear. *The ability to use the camera remotely will be important to me. *I would be grateful to learn the experiences of existing users:

* *- Wifi android apps. *I'm advised by Sony that, contrary to the information on their website, recording video/movie is possible. *But they tell me that this function is limited to start/stop of recording and that the camera's view (during video recording) is not displayed on the smartphone/tablet. *Is this right? *I appreciate that my query seems somewhat argumentative (with Sony) but the information that I'm getting from them is a little contradictory.

* - What kind of range, distance (between camera and smartphone/tablet) are users finding that they are getting?

* - I also see that a usb-cable windows application is available. *Have users found that, in use, there are any limits on cable length?

I would be grateful for the benefit of users' experience.
  2. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I could get remote video to work on my wife's A7S but not on my A7. I don't know that both cameras were running the same (or even latest) versions of the remote control software. I also believe that only low bit-rate (17mbps) MP4 files will be transferred to the phone/tablet. I'm not 100% certain though as I rarely use this feature for video.
  3. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    Not sure about your questions but I do know that the sony websites are notoriously inaccurate
  4. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks, storyteller. I can live quite happily with a low quality transfer to the smartphone/tablet. I appreciate that you're not used this function a lot. But can you see anything on your device's screen whilst the camera's video-recording? What kind of distance could you get between camera and device? (I'm planning on using the camera on a mast for roof survey work).
  5. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    Chrid, noted. And in this particular case I think the apps are updated quicker than the info on Sony's site (to the detriment of their marketing).