Sony ILCE-7R (a7r, alpha 7r) Remote control of video/movie

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by yoftby, Dec 23, 2014.

1. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    I am seriously considering getting an ILCE-7R, but the information I'm getting from Sony is unclear. *The ability to use the camera remotely will be important to me. *I would be grateful to learn the experiences of existing users:

* *- Wifi android apps. *I'm advised by Sony that, contrary to the information on their website, recording video/movie is possible. *But they tell me that this function is limited to start/stop of recording and that the camera's view (during video recording) is not displayed on the smartphone/tablet. *Is this right? *I appreciate that my query seems somewhat argumentative (with Sony) but the information that I'm getting from them is a little contradictory.

* - What kind of range, distance (between camera and smartphone/tablet) are users finding that they are getting?

* - I also see that a usb-cable windows application is available. *Have users found that, in use, there are any limits on cable length?

I would be grateful for the benefit of users' experience.

2. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I could get remote video to work on my wife's A7S but not on my A7. I don't know that both cameras were running the same (or even latest) versions of the remote control software. I also believe that only low bit-rate (17mbps) MP4 files will be transferred to the phone/tablet. I'm not 100% certain though as I rarely use this feature for video.

3. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Not sure about your questions but I do know that the sony websites are notoriously inaccurate

4. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks, storyteller. I can live quite happily with a low quality transfer to the smartphone/tablet. I appreciate that you're not used this function a lot. But can you see anything on your device's screen whilst the camera's video-recording? What kind of distance could you get between camera and device? (I'm planning on using the camera on a mast for roof survey work).

5. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    Chrid, noted. And in this particular case I think the apps are updated quicker than the info on Sony's site (to the detriment of their marketing).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.