1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony FEL50 1.8 -- is it worth it (i.e. NOT the image thread)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WT21, May 23, 2016.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I started a new thread, simply because I think the "image thread" is getting choked with non-image discussion.

I have a copy, and updated my camera FW.

I am primarily an a6000 shooter, mostly for compactness. I sometimes shoot an a7 for events. I have the 28/2 which acts as a 42/3.0 on the a6000. I also have a Sigma 60/2.8, which can cover much of the Full frame image circle.

The FE28 focuses faster and more sure on the a6000 than the FE50 (and also feels like it has a higher build quality, oddly enough). The FE50 focuses no better than the Sigma 60.

I need to run more tests (I need to really see what it offers in 1.8-2.5 range), but I think I'm inclined to return it, given my case.

HOWEVER, I want this lens to succeed commercially, so Sony makes more affordable lenses.

If I was all FF, then I think it's a lens to keep.

But for me, it feels redundant.

2. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I was about to return mine from my initial use, but after using it for a week I've decided to keep it. It's compact enough and focus isn't so bad in general day shooting. With the latest FW on my A7, it's a hair faster. The biggest issue I've found is when metering gets confused and underexposes the scene causing the lens to not focus. I believe it's due to the way the aperture stops down to constantly adjust for live view which causes the problem. Optically it's pretty good and I've gotten good shots from it.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Telling from the images I've seen here and elsewhere this lens looks like a winner to me - optically and on full frame cameras but I wouldn't get one for my NEX. One thing that somehow annoys me is that the so-so AF performance of this lens could have been done on purpose rather than for economical reasons to set it apart from the pricier SEL55f18 but of course that's pure speculation.

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    If this lens was out at the time I got the 55z, I certainly would not have bought the 55z for the difference in IQ alone. I am not a big portrait guy, so this lens would have done just fine from what I've seen.
    As for the comment on crippling a product on purpose to preserve value of another product. Sony wouldn't be the first and they won't be the last. I remember way back in the day when Intel wanted to sell a cheaper version of their 386/486DX processors, but didn't want to have to develop a new chip. They actually added an extra step in the manufacturing process to disable the mathcoprocessor and call it a 386/486SX. They were effectively selling the processor that cost more to make for less. :eek::wtf::confused-69:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    The FE50 has peaked my interest.