Showcase Sony FE90mm F2.8 G Macro OSS

jai

TalkEmount Top Veteran
The bokeh and rendering from this lens is beautiful.

I think it feels much more like an old Minolta lens than the contrasty Zeiss primes that have been the focus lately. I hope they do more like this, but preferably a bit cheaper too!

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Thanks, Serhan. Manual focus is adequate, but it's definitely not as nice (to me) as using a mechanically-linked manual focus lens to me. I used it side by side with my Zuiko OM 90mm f/2, and the latter is just such a pleasure to focus. With the Sony, I find myself often overshooting focus as I try to strike the right speed of turning the ring. I'm sure this will get better with practice, though.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
That is how I feel with the Batis 85mm, trying to see if I can improve that mf adjustments...
Thanks, Serhan. Manual focus is adequate, but it's definitely not as nice (to me) as using a mechanically-linked manual focus lens to me. I used it side by side with my Zuiko OM 90mm f/2, and the latter is just such a pleasure to focus. With the Sony, I find myself often overshooting focus as I try to strike the right speed of turning the ring. I'm sure this will get better with practice, though.

After using the old Contarex Zeiss lenses, I feel the same way. They are low contrast even compared to latest Sony E lenses and looks more organic to me...
I think it feels much more like an old Minolta lens than the contrasty Zeiss primes that have been the focus lately. I hope they do more like this, but preferably a bit cheaper too!

Last edited:

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Amin, do you have any OM 90mm shot to share??? I'd love to see something in the Hires forum. I really want one of those...

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Amin, do you have any OM 90mm shot to share??? I'd love to see something in the Hires forum. I really want one of those...
I haven't had a chance to shoot it much on my A7II yet. Here are some recent shots using this lens on my Leica:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/asabet/19806833086/in/dateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/asabet/19807049406/in/dateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/asabet/19212733823/in/dateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/asabet/19513192350/in/dateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/asabet/19514566829/in/dateposted/

I'm pretty much in love with the rendering of the OM 90 macro.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
My wife just took this picture of me and my daughter:

DSC00471
by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

Wide open, the way this lens is so sharp, combined with the particular way it transitions to OOF, it's kind of jarring. Like someone did a selection mask in Photoshop and blurred around it, or cut and paste an image from one to the next. I'm not sure I like it very much...

Not to mention that you can see every single skin flaw and mild dribble: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/452/19943942552_fe0775dcb8_o.jpg

tomO2013

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It does have a fairly sharp transition to out of focus but colours are lovely and bokeh is very smooth.
The other lens that behaves like this is the Sonnar 55 1.8. One of my buddies also described it as jarring recently - he could not understand how I was getting so much more 'pop' from a F2.8 lens than he was from his vintage 85 1.8. I have to admit sometimes (depending on subject / look you are going for) it can be soo much separation. Almost medium format in the swiftness from in focus to out of focus. For macro subjects (for which the lens is intended first and foremost) this is a great optic and the flat field curvature is perfect. For portraiture it will need a little work, but does still give you a fantastic starting point.
I suspect the fast transition that you are noticing is because there is little to no distortion and field curvature is extremely flat wide open - also accounting for the size of the optic. In terms of sharpness - I've also noted that it can be almost too sharp/contrasty. In retrospective I reckon that my shot of the Cree lady would have benefitted from a little PP softening. Then again it is easier to tone down sharpness than to put an inherrent lack of sharpness back into an image!
Personally I'm very happy with the optic, but I have observed similar things Amin. As a macro I love it. For portaiture I love it in a controlled sense. I suspect the Batis 85 will (and should) be the better portraiture lens.

pworden

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Patti
Took the lens to the classic car show. So sharp! The second pic is just for Sony. The Studebaker had airbags and air conditioning!

Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Last edited:

LoFi

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Eliot
my middle niece was helping me scout out locations for some sr portrait backgrounds for my oldest niece once the leaves change. as you can see from her outfit and hair, i interrupted her intended day of netflix and hulu in bed all day... ;)

@2.8

LoFi

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Eliot
I can't stand this thread...

(It is going to cost me money)
exactly why i need to stay away from any batis 85 threads... not that anyone has one to post with... *glares at zeiss people with Lu*

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
The 90 macro is the perfect lens to go to the zoo with:

100% crop

100% crop:

100% crop:

And some biting sharpness, if you didn't need more proof:

100% crop:

All shot wide open.

Last edited:

Lucille

TalkEmount Veteran
Lu said I have a better chance of finding the abominable snowman then locating a Batis.

Tony Burns

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
Tony Burns
Here is from my Saturday project, taken with the FE 90mm (pretty much my main lens in my tiny studio now!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom