Showcase Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM

Hawkman

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Steve @Hawkman how did you find the weight on the A7ii? Was it cumbersome to balance for long period of time?

Great shot btw ;)
Thanks Nick. Actually, while I really liked the performance of the 70-200/2.8GM, the weight was an issue. It is HEAVY! Other than my "Beast" legacy manual focus Vivitar 120-600mm, I've never used a heavier lens for a prolonged period. I weighed the combination of the A7II w/ battery grip (and 2 batteries) plus the 70-200GM (using the tried and true "weigh myself w/o the camera and then with the camera" method), and it weighed about 4.5 pounds (sorry, I think and deal in foot-pounds, not gram-meters). Heavy indeed. I checked specs online and Ken Rockwell lists it at 54.5 oz. / 1545g, which seems to correspond to the official Sony weight of 52.21 oz (without tripod mount). I'm sure the tripod mount likely weighs at least 2 oz., so I'll take Ken's measurements as with the tripod mount. At 54.5 oz., that's almost 3-1/2 pounds.

Basically, it's not a walkaround, handhold type of lens (you're not using this thing for casual street photography). I chose to mount it on my Manfrotto compact monopod at the event in order to brace the combination as I shot. That worked well. All of that said, I do think it is manageable overall, but it could be tiring over a few hours... like at a wedding (which I've never shot... yet).

P.S. - BTW, I found the battery grip to be invaluable for handling with this lens. Just sayin'....

Last edited:

Hawkman

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Oh, and here's another one with the 70-200GM. This one of Katie, focused on just her right eye. Still razor thin depth of field, so only her eye(s) are in sharp focus.
DSC01901 by SRHawk64, on Flickr
200mm, f/2.8, 1/25 (yay IBIS+OSS!), ISO 400.

I'll post more later....

msullivan

TalkEmount Regular
I use the 70-200 gm regularly with the A7rii and find it to be very comfortable to carry. I had it out for a two hour hike in the desert near Phoenix today and it was not a problem at all to carry. Many lenses much heavier than this one. I am 72 and in good physical condition. I really like this lens.

Hawkman

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I use the 70-200 gm regularly with the A7rii and find it to be very comfortable to carry. I had it out for a two hour hike in the desert near Phoenix today and it was not a problem at all to carry. Many lenses much heavier than this one. I am 72 and in good physical condition. I really like this lens.
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to imply that the 70-200 GM is WAY TOO heavy or unmanageable (is that a word?), just that it is noticeably heavier than most. But I'm 53 and decidedly NOT in good shape. ;)
And I really liked the lens too... it seemed very sharp and had that certain... punch..

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Latest posts

Top Bottom