Sony FE 50mm 1.8f - for the money, it's really not a bad lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by orlcam88, Feb 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. orlcam88

orlcam88 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I had a business trip last week in Dallas and needed a carry around lens but the only lens I had was the 100-400m. The lens I was waiting for (24-105mm) wasn't available for shipping until this past Monday so that wouldn't work out. As I didn't want to bring that large lens due to not being able to shoot during the day time, I went over to B&H photo in the city to see what used lenses they have. I was going for cheap but capable. I asked the clerk to list out what he had for Sony and heard him mentioned the 50mm for $156. I read about this lens having slow focusing but the glass was good so I went for it.

I shot some around the city on my way back and I didn't find an issue with focusing. It took some nice landscapes. When I got home, I wanted to see what would cause the slow focus people mentioned and it's basically any object in near focus. Strangely, it would take time to get a focus on near objects. I'm not talking about getting within inches, but anything within around 10 feet. As I wasn't going to use this lens for that, I was fine with it.

So for less than $200, I'd say I got a pretty good lens. Here are my shots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I’d say you’re right! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Some nice shots you've made! I have this lens too and it's kind of a bargain IMHO if you don't mind the crippled AF. And its geometric distortion is super-low, even uncorrected, so it's ideal for cityscapes with all their straight lines.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    But if you're shooting something like a portrait, AF within range is fine. It really only racks out slowly, or goes from far to near slowly. Within a smaller range, I find it perfectly acceptable. I love it on an A6500, too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hamsong

Hamsong TalkEmount Regular

Sep 20, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    I bought this lens for my wife, who has begun shooting family portraits, maternity, birth, etc. Aside from the minor focusing sound and the slower but predictable focus, it renders VERY well and is a cheap alternative to the stunning Zeiss 55 f1.8. Since they are now selling for only $199, it's a steal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I just have to say I really like the pic of the big eyeball.

• Funny Funny x 1