1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Sony FE 50 1.8 (SEL50F18F)

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by cvt01, May 7, 2016.

1. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 10
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    It's looking good!

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Let's put the camera/lens combo so we can see what it is being used on. Good?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    cvt01, did you capture these images in RAW? Those are very nice family photos but could be improved nicely if CA was cleaned up on the first two photos.

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I don't think it's desired to correct for CA or anything else when you're assessing the lens' rendering quality. We want to see the strengths and weaknesses. That's why SOOC is important, to establish a basis.

Lens has very nice color, DOF and is sharp.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  6. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    I processed these in lightroom and if anything the processing made the 'CA' stronger... these are not SOOC. I run all my raw files through the same basic processing in lightroom.

7. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    It was the A7, the flickr link has all the exif info.

8. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    These look good! I'll see how I like mine when it arrives Monday. A little worried about the focusing though, but I'll have to test to out myself to see how it fares.

9. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I maybe have to pick up an a7 again, just to get this lens!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    So I just shot some senior portraits for a friend's daughter. I exclusively used the SEL50F18F. When I got it, and tried focusing on things around the house, the AF seemed slow and annoying. But, in the heat of the battle, composing, watching expressions, calling out direction, focusing, and watching exposure info, if is 100% workable. It was never slow in practical use. It was ready every time I was, and kept up perfectly with the A7ii. Looking quickly through the shots, this one jumped out for me to share.

ASharrow1bsm.

• Like Like x 9
  11. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Took another stab with the lens today, it's sharp but I'm still not sure about the AF. On the plus side you can mount a 49mm to 52mm step-up adapter and still mount the stock hood. Also it's probably best to shoot in continuous instead of single shot to make sure you nail the shot! ;)

Here's one of my daughter with the A7 and 50 1.8 FE:
    DSC04111.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's odd, from you and some others it becomes clear that the lens performs much better when continous AF is used. What's up with that? It makes me believe that Sony can do a firmware update so that it'll behave better in single AF too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I preferred AF-S for those senior portraits, never hunted. Always locked in fast an sure.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    I use single point AF, but shoot in continuous shooting mode to take multiple shots, due to any spastic action my kids might do. For portraiture with people who actually stay still, the focus is not an issue in good light. I'd say the focus on the 50mm 1.8 FE is about a 1/2 to 1 second difference versus a fast focusing lens.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Just in case - Davin Lavikka's 2 cts on this lens:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I ordered one to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out. Updated the FW on both cameras, as that seems to be essential for AF, from what I've read.

17. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    I've decided to keep mine. Once you get used to shooting with one the focus isn't so bad. You just have to know the limitations of the focus and shoot accordingly. Once it nails focus, it's pretty accurate. Though I'm not sure I'd use it to shoot in low light conditions.

18. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Exactly!! Every lens is different. It has its place.

19. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Well-executed glass, poor cost-cutting decision on the AF. I think if Sony invested that little bit more and the final cost was $275-300, people would still be buying them off the shelves because there would be no shortcomings.
    But going with the less expensive external-focused design meant there would be a lot of mass to move about.
    Hopefully, it will get firmware refinements, and motor revisions should the lens be a strong seller. The tried and true D-G Planar hybrid formula does render outstanding images, as the samples earlier prove.

20. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    This sample thread needs some more pictures! I think the key to overcoming the slower focus of this lens is to use the single AF box setting, aim for a good contrast area and focus. Also the lens does well at further distances due to less AF adjusting of the lens. The nice thing about the 50mm FE is that it's the exact same height and filter thread as the 28mm f/2 lens.

All shot with the A7 and 50mm 1.8 FE:
    DSC04456.

DSC04171.

DSC04124.

DSC04460.

• Like Like x 6