• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Sony FE 24-240 (SEL24240)

nathanh

TalkEmount Regular
Just taken to get a sense of sharpness and contrast. Since there is no LR profile yet, these are the OOC jpg.

These are at 24mm, various apertures, shutter speeds, ISO.

My third post has larger images and then a link to flickr with the full sizes for the images in the third post.

Attachments

Last edited:

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I picked up this lens from Amazon a couple of days ago. Some samples:

FE24240-7.jpg
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

FE24240-7.jpg
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

FE24240-5.jpg
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

FE24240-6.jpg
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

FE24240-3.jpg
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

FE24240-2.jpg
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

FE24240-1.jpg
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

---            

Any lens that can go from 24mm...

---            

...to 240mm rates high in my estimation.

---            

...and the OSS is effective. This shot was taken from about 2 miles away. 100% crop, handheld at 240mm, 1/60 sec.

---            

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
The focus tracking is pretty impressive too. My four-legged model cooperated for this sequence.

---            
   ---            
   ---            
   ---            

nathanh

TalkEmount Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice shots!

Here's a question: Do you see yourself using it instead of the 70-200? When, when not?

I don't have the 70-200. I do have the 16-35 and prefer it (maybe that's a no brainer) for the overlap range, but when I'm "on the go" on the trail, it's hard to justify taking the 24-240 off the body unless I'm in a forest/crowded space where I know 99% of what I shoot will be wide.

---

And I see you are shooting with an A7. Almost makes me feel like my A7ii is redundant, if you are getting such good stabilization from the lens OSS on the A7 :)

And please excuse me for being a little relieved that at 24mm you get a little smearing in the corners (roadside/mountain), though I don't see an vignetting, which has occasionally been visible on mine.

Are those OOC JPG?

Last edited:

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Thanks Nathan. I also have the 16-35, and it outperforms this lens in the range where they overlap. As to the 70-200, it's going up on eBay this week.

These are all raw shots. I extracted the lens profile from ACR and imported it into Lightroom.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Very contrasty and nice colors... Good tracking also. I saw baseball hit shots taken with A6000 so it has fast af with faster cameras...

nathanh

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks Nathan. I also have the 16-35, and it outperforms this lens in the range where they overlap. As to the 70-200, it's going up on eBay this week.

These are all raw shots. I extracted the lens profile from ACR and imported it into Lightroom.
Interesting. Well, I'm glad to hear that about the 70-200. That range isn't quite ideal for me in a tele-zoom, anyway, and while I am sure it measures better than the 24-240.... well, I can feel fine about holding out for something REALLY long.

nathanh

TalkEmount Regular
Very contrasty and nice colors... Good tracking also. I saw baseball hit shots taken with A6000 so it has fast af with faster cameras...
That is intriguing, since the A6000 would also make it an effective FL of 360mm, in terms of reach. That begins to approach what I would want for birding.

southy

TalkEmount Veteran
Wow, there was no way I was expecting that kind of IQ from a 10x zoom, impressive. This has got to be the ultimate walk around lens for the A7 series.

Latest posts

Top Bottom