Sony FE 24/1.4 announced

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
The test pictures from this photographer is amazing. The site has a lot of pictures and it does take a long while to load the page. But I promise you that it is worth visiting

https://www.albertdros.com/single-post/2018/09/20/Sony-24mm-f14-GM-First-Impressions

And the author's quick summary

• Excellent sharpness on all apertures even wide open at f/1.4

• Very lightweight with only 445 grams

• Aperture ring on the lens and a switch to make it stepless.

• 67mm filter thread

• Great sunstar

• Great potential for astrophotography. Sony says it performs very well and focused on this very topic. I didn’t test it myself so can’t show examples. yet.

• Overall a great allrounder prime. to carry around everywhere

Cheers,
Hin

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Loxia 21 | GM 24 |Batis 25 | Sigma 24 Art

Saw this from one of the dpreview thread.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Wow. If I didn't have the Batis already I suspect I'd go for the 24/1.4 instead.

ggibson

TalkEmount Regular
I'm interested to see the inevitable comparisons to the Loxia 21. If astro is a consideration, I'm guessing the 24GM will be the clear winner. But the Loxia's wider view, size/weight, and manual focus are probably more interesting to the dedicated landscape shooter. The 24GM looks like it has very nice sunstars, but the Loxia's are preferable, personally.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
It is always a good excuse to have my comfort food when working out the new arrival of my Tamron zoom. Wish to have more shooting experiences to share

20180927-DSC07663

by Hin Man, on Flickr

Not exactly sure but I do see onion rings in the bokeh rings but this may be due to the type of lighting and reflections as I don't see it in prior pictures. At any rate, it is not too distracting on this one but I do take notice of it.

The zoom can take reasonable close up on food and product shots.

20180927-DSC07654

by Hin Man, on Flickr

And AF in the dark goes like native lens and it is not scientific but I don't notice any slowness in night shooting wide open

20180927-DSC07668

by Hin Man, on Flickr

20180927-DSC07671

by Hin Man, on Flickr

The lens barrel sleeve attracts dust and look like an old lens after 1 week of storage in my camera bag. To be fair, my bag is likely on dirty side with liens and dust in traveling.

Overall, I find it pleasing to use. Weight is actually a bit heavier than I expected. Maybe my wrong expectation from comparison with the kit lens. My main gripe stays on the absence of 24mm and the lens barrel sleeve. The last may not be a valid complaint as many of my other zoom lens has similar issues. I need to get into habit in cleaning lens between usage. Is there a best practice in cleaning the outer sleeve of a lens.

Cheers,
Hin

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
Sorry, I lack sleep and place arrival of Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 E-mount zoom on this thread. I leave it here for some unintended excitement that I get ahead of myself getting 24mm fast prime.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited:

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Another comparison, Batis 25mm vs 24mm 1.4 vs 28mm 2 vs Loxia 25mm:)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

robfactory

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Rob
I really dislike it when they use lenses with hood and without to make the point of HOW MUCH BIGGER one lens is compared to the other. The 28mm F2 is a really nice lens. I don't know why some people knock it. It's light, it's small, and it's fast. Not to mention a fraction of the price. Also, if you want a wider lens you can get 2 adapters for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: WNG

robfactory

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Rob
Sorry, I lack sleep and place arrival of Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 E-mount zoom on this thread. I leave it here for some unintended excitement that I get ahead of myself getting 24mm fast prime.

Thanks,
Hin
I got the Tamron 2 weeks ago. It's really nice and sharp lens. I was actually surprised by how fast the focus is and the macro like qualities it has. I made a post on this site with some photos.

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
The 28mm F2 is a really nice lens. I don't know why some people knock it. It's light, it small, and it's fast. Not to mention that a fraction of the price.
Yeah, I eye it regularly. It's very nearly as sharp as the Batis 25, but without the size. If it wasn't for the fact that I don't really care for 28mm's AoV, I'd own it.

In terms of the opinions of the greater masses, though, I think the main complaint though is the distortion the lens has before in-camera correction.

robfactory

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Rob
Yeah, I eye it regularly. It's very nearly as sharp as the Batis 25, but without the size. If it wasn't for the fact that I don't really care for 28mm's AoV, I'd own it. ...the main complaint though is the distortion the lens has before in-camera correction.
The distortion is something that easily gets fixed. Most people edit their photos in an editor. If they don't they can shoot RAW+JPG and it's fixed in JPG.

mattia

TalkEmount Veteran
What just occurred to me is that this is essentially a 42MP 24/1.4 and a 18MP 36/2.0 (DoF equivalent) in a relatively compact package. I'm really a '35mm guy' and my CV Nokton 1.2 spends a lot of time on my A7rIII, but I really do miss AF for faster people shooting now that I've experienced what it can do. I'll probably eventually get the 35/1.4 (weight is about the same as the 351.2 with adapter), but this could be an even more versatile walk around and travel lens: good for general and street shooting (in APS-C crop if need be) and a good Astro option to boot (stitching a couple of frames for a wider perspective.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
While I was at my local camera store, their Sony rep just happened to be there, and he had a 24/1.4 lens with him. That thing is nice. And much smaller than I expected for a 1.4 lens. He said they have probably over 1000 back-orders for that lens right now.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
While I was at my local camera store, their Sony rep just happened to be there, and he had a 24/1.4 lens with him. That thing is nice. And much smaller than I expected for a 1.4 lens. He said they have probably over 1000 back-orders for that lens right now.
Mine is one of those :) Hopefully I get it in less than 8 weeks (current Amazon estimate)

Latest posts

Top Bottom