1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sony FE 24/1.4 announced

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by quezra, Sep 20, 2018.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 22, 2012
    Sony announces lightweight FE 24mm F1.4 G Master prime
    Pretty nice I have to say! Made me even do a double take about my Batis (no the 25/2 is still lighter at 335g)

• Like Like x 3
  2. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    24mm is okay, but I'd rather have a native 20mm. That's my go-to wide angle focal length!

3. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    Well once the 135 is also announced Sony has effectively neutered the Batis lenses.

4. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Interesting option. It's about the size of the 85/1.8 and a tad heavier. Not as wide as I'd like for Astro, but could be an interesting proposition indeed for prime shooters

5. SpecFoto

SpecFoto TalkEmount Rookie Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2018
    So Cal Desert
    Jim
    I'm with JonathanF2 on this, I would choose a 20mm for wide angle vs a 24mm. My $1,000 less FE 28mm f2 will do just fine for now.

However it is encouraging to see that Sony was able to cut some fat out of the lens in size and weight, plus give it supposedly great optics for a slightly better price than expected. This holds a lot of promise for me and the upcoming 135mm f1.8. If Sony can follow the same formula for the 135mm that they did here, I will be all over it. If not, and it is big and heavier with 77mm filter size, I will buy the Batis 135mm as I want this for travel and would love the 67mm filter size to mate up with my FE 85mm f1.8.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  6. Levster

Levster TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    Portsmouth, UK
    Chris
    I'm hoping for a 35/1.8 at some point! The 1.4s are too big and the 2.8s are too slow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Would it be asking too much for a 24 2.8?

8. Levster

Aug 23, 2018
    Portsmouth, UK
    Chris
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Really nice lens. I also shoot the 28/2 at the moment, but the smooth bokeh and wider aperture of this one is really tempting.

And for 35/2 wishers, just crop this one to APS-C and voila! :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Richard Alan Acosta

Richard Alan Acosta TalkEmount Regular

Aug 3, 2018
    I agree. I would've liked a little wider than 24mm.

11. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I would have liked a little cheaper. I suppose it is about par for a Sony GM at 1.4. :frown:

12. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It's weird that the Sony branded 35mm and 50mm 1.4s are so much bigger and cost more.
    Something about this lens is really speaking to me. Affordable and practical... with some very enticing environmental portrait potential.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    I don't mind the cost or other factors.

I just wish they would release a 16mm for the APS-C Sony users. F4 is fine.

14. Levster

Aug 23, 2018
    Portsmouth, UK
    Chris
    Have you tried this?

Review: Sigma 16mm f1.4 DC DN Contemporary (Sony E Mount)

I've tried the lens on mu43 and by all accounts it's as sharp as you can get!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    There's an excellent Voightlander 15mm f4.5 E / FE mount excellent lens small and compsct but not cheap and manual focus and aperture

16. Hin Man

Hin Man TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 18, 2013
    I am actually very excited about this lens. I seldom see a lighter and compact lens from Sony let alone the GM lenses. I agree that a fast 20mm and a lighter 35mm would be next best thing to add to the Sony new lenses. 24mm is not wide enough for Astro type of photos, I currently use Voiglander 21mm f/1.8 with TechArtPro adapter. I am likely to buy the Sony 24mm once some official review is out as 24mm in FF is my favorite go to lens.

Cheers,
    Hin

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hin Man

Jan 18, 2013
    I highly recommend the Sigma 16mm f/1.4. That lens is a steal for the money. And I love to use it on my full frame in crop mode with my A7r2. It has been my 1-lens do it all in traveling with A7r2.

Cheers,
    Hin

18. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'll be waiting for LensRentals to get 10 copies to test, but after that I'll be seriously considering it.

I'm happy with the set of manual focual lenses I have, but I'll like to have a standard trio of AF lenses. With my 55mm, I think the 24mm and 85mm GM lenses would do the trick.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hin Man

Jan 18, 2013
    I have a thread on the Sigma 16mm but in that thread I mostly use it with A7r2 instead of my A6000.

Sigma 16mm f/1.4 and A7r2 in Zion & Vincity, Utah

The Sigma 16 is not very balanced on the aps-c camera as it is heavier and bulkier than others but one can get used to it quickly. It is a hefty lens.

Cheers,
    Hin

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.