Sony FE 24/1.4 announced

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Sony announces lightweight FE 24mm F1.4 G Master prime
Sony has taken the wraps off of its new full-frame 24mm F1.4 G Master prime lens. Despite that fast maximum aperture, Sony has created a remarkably small and light lens compared to its peers, with a weight of just 445 grams (15.7 ounces). Compare that to the Sigma 24mm F1.4 Art shown below, which is 50% heavier and considerably more bulky, albeit cheaper.

It's a departure from traditional GM lenses, which tend to be large so as to not sacrifice optimal performance. This lens bucks the trend by prioritizing both optical performance and size and weight.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Pretty nice I have to say! Made me even do a double take about my Batis (no the 25/2 is still lighter at 335g)

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Well once the 135 is also announced Sony has effectively neutered the Batis lenses.

mattia

TalkEmount Veteran
Interesting option. It's about the size of the 85/1.8 and a tad heavier. Not as wide as I'd like for Astro, but could be an interesting proposition indeed for prime shooters

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
I'm with JonathanF2 on this, I would choose a 20mm for wide angle vs a 24mm. My $1,000 less FE 28mm f2 will do just fine for now.

However it is encouraging to see that Sony was able to cut some fat out of the lens in size and weight, plus give it supposedly great optics for a slightly better price than expected. This holds a lot of promise for me and the upcoming 135mm f1.8. If Sony can follow the same formula for the 135mm that they did here, I will be all over it. If not, and it is big and heavier with 77mm filter size, I will buy the Batis 135mm as I want this for travel and would love the 67mm filter size to mate up with my FE 85mm f1.8.

Last edited:

ggibson

TalkEmount Regular
Really nice lens. I also shoot the 28/2 at the moment, but the smooth bokeh and wider aperture of this one is really tempting.

And for 35/2 wishers, just crop this one to APS-C and voila! :biggrin:

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I would have liked a little cheaper. I suppose it is about par for a Sony GM at 1.4. :frown:

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
It's weird that the Sony branded 35mm and 50mm 1.4s are so much bigger and cost more.
Something about this lens is really speaking to me. Affordable and practical... with some very enticing environmental portrait potential.

Fergus

TalkEmount Regular
I don't mind the cost or other factors.

I just wish they would release a 16mm for the APS-C Sony users. F4 is fine.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
I am actually very excited about this lens. I seldom see a lighter and compact lens from Sony let alone the GM lenses. I agree that a fast 20mm and a lighter 35mm would be next best thing to add to the Sony new lenses. 24mm is not wide enough for Astro type of photos, I currently use Voiglander 21mm f/1.8 with TechArtPro adapter. I am likely to buy the Sony 24mm once some official review is out as 24mm in FF is my favorite go to lens.

Cheers,
Hin

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I'll be waiting for LensRentals to get 10 copies to test, but after that I'll be seriously considering it.

I'm happy with the set of manual focual lenses I have, but I'll like to have a standard trio of AF lenses. With my 55mm, I think the 24mm and 85mm GM lenses would do the trick.

Last edited:

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
I don't mind the cost or other factors.

I just wish they would release a 16mm for the APS-C Sony users. F4 is fine.
I have a thread on the Sigma 16mm but in that thread I mostly use it with A7r2 instead of my A6000.

Sigma 16mm f/1.4 and A7r2 in Zion & Vincity, Utah

The Sigma 16 is not very balanced on the aps-c camera as it is heavier and bulkier than others but one can get used to it quickly. It is a hefty lens.

Cheers,
Hin

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom