Sony FE 200-600

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I would guess the slower aperture contributes to the more relatively reasonable price. Assuming the rumors match up with the reality.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I wonder if this G lens is made by Tamron for Sony, now that Sony owns a stake in Tamron.

mstphoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Stephen
Well Guys - ITS OFFICIAL!!
Sony have announced their 2 new lenses - 600mm f4 & 200-600
Internal focussing, ability to take a tele convertor!!
As I said earlier, this is definitely a game changer ;)

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Look at the size of that thing! :D

Way past my pay grade, but I hope it meets and exceeds Sony's sales expectations. Should sell a few for the Olympics at least.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Well Guys - ITS OFFICIAL!!
Sony have announced their 2 new lenses - 600mm f4 & 200-600
Internal focussing, ability to take a tele convertor!!
As I said earlier, this is definitely a game changer ;)
The youtube DPReview guys are reviewing them right now on my TV as I type.

A great combo if you need the reach, just be prepared for the $$$$$$$$

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
The FE 200-600mm is near perfect for me except for the price. Don't get me wrong, it's priced to be competitive with similar offerings from other companies. I was just hoping for about $500 of undercutting the competition. :dance4:

Can't afford it at the moment, but I may have to look at renting one for a northern michigan elk and bear photo hunt I've been vaguely planning.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Any word on when the 200-600mm goes to f/6.3? I'd hope it only goes to f/6.3 by 600mm. The Nikon 200-500mm stays at f/5.6 throughout the aperture range and can be had for under $1000 USD used.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Internal zoom sets the new 200-600mm apart from the pack.
Yeah I like that part and it'll probably focus faster on a mirrorless body. Sony needs to make a 300mm f/4 prime though, for those that like slightly faster apertures and compact sized lenses. I keep my Nikon kit around mainly because of the 300mm PF.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Any word on when the 200-600mm goes to f/6.3?
I’ve read over on SAR that it goes to f/6.3 at 300mm.

If I had unlimited funds, I’d be all over that lens. But I shoot wildlife maybe once a year when the bald eagles nest over in the Klamath Wildlife Refuge. So unless I suddenly uncover the funds for a safari in Botswana under my mattress... :flypig:

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
I think the price to performance ratio looks pretty good - from this far out anyway.

And it's going to remove a big block to migrating from Nikon and Canon. Frankly, the adapted lens route created a lot of uncertainty among prospective migrants and for those who took the plunge more than a few were burned or dissatisfied.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Yeah I like that part and it'll probably focus faster on a mirrorless body. Sony needs to make a 300mm f/4 prime though, for those that like slightly faster apertures and compact sized lenses. I keep my Nikon kit around mainly because of the 300mm PF.
I loved my Canon 300mm f/4L IS lens...

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
The FE 200-600mm is near perfect for me except for the price. Don't get me wrong, it's priced to be competitive with similar offerings from other companies. I was just hoping for about $500 of undercutting the competition. :dance4:

Can't afford it at the moment, but I may have to look at renting one for a northern michigan elk and bear photo hunt I've been vaguely planning.
Sony has never been one for undercutting prices on lenses!

The 200-600 comes closest in bang for buck terms of all those that would interest me. Upto 200 I can cope fairly easily with adapted lenses, but beyond that reasonably rapid AF is a great help for many subjects. Having recently come into some money I can afford it - but it would set a dangerous precedent to my wife... Perhaps I a year or two.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom