Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM Lens Image Quality

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by doublezd, Sep 7, 2017.

1. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 21, 2015
    My camera is an A7Rii, and I have the Batis 25 and the Sony Sonnar 55/1.8 which are my 2 go-to lenses -- the sharp, crisp, vibrantly colored images of both those lenses are wonderful.
    I've never been a zoom lens person, preferring the IQ of the 2 primes I have. But this zoom has captured my attention, and would be a useful lens to have.
    However -- my key question: ow does the IQ of this GM lens compare to Batis 25 and the Sony Sonnar 55/1.8 (I know the focal length of the 55 is not in the range of the 16-35-- but just in terms of IQ).
    Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I'm not sure anyone here on the forum actually owns the new Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM lens. I can't find a native lens showcase thread for it. There was a thread discussing it and the other Sony wide angle zooms recently, and I believe @GabrielPhoto@GabrielPhoto has rented and tested one. That might be a start. I myself finally just bit the bullet and ordered the Sony FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS, the older, "slower", but well-respected cousin of the G-Master. Not that that helps you... sorry.

3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    How it compares to the 55 is a bit irrelevant as the 16-35 only goes to 35mm.
    If you want wider than 25mm the Voightlander 15mm e-mount lens is excellent or even the 12mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you.

5. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you -- I meant comparison only in terms of IQ.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.