Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM Lens Image Quality

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by doublezd, Sep 7, 2017.

1. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 21, 2015
    My camera is an A7Rii, and I have the Batis 25 and the Sony Sonnar 55/1.8 which are my 2 go-to lenses -- the sharp, crisp, vibrantly colored images of both those lenses are wonderful.
    I've never been a zoom lens person, preferring the IQ of the 2 primes I have. But this zoom has captured my attention, and would be a useful lens to have.
    However -- my key question: ow does the IQ of this GM lens compare to Batis 25 and the Sony Sonnar 55/1.8 (I know the focal length of the 55 is not in the range of the 16-35-- but just in terms of IQ).
    Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I'm not sure anyone here on the forum actually owns the new Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM lens. I can't find a native lens showcase thread for it. There was a thread discussing it and the other Sony wide angle zooms recently, and I believe @GabrielPhoto@GabrielPhoto has rented and tested one. That might be a start. I myself finally just bit the bullet and ordered the Sony FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS, the older, "slower", but well-respected cousin of the G-Master. Not that that helps you... sorry.

3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    How it compares to the 55 is a bit irrelevant as the 16-35 only goes to 35mm.
    If you want wider than 25mm the Voightlander 15mm e-mount lens is excellent or even the 12mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you.

5. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you -- I meant comparison only in terms of IQ.