Showcase Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 GM

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
About this magnificent Sony 135 GM lens

Yesterday I was not sure what the distance switch of the lens was for or, at least I was not quite sure about it's exact function.
After a bit of surfing and reading I came to a conclusion: the switch when positioned at the smaller distance returns a faster and more accurate focusing as the motors has to travel less. Yes, just a guess. But the fact is that it works fine.

I headed to the garden and shot the flower at close distance. I did not measure but the sensor should be a bit after 70cm away from the target. I was not using the crop factor of the camera. Just making a FF shot at in this instance, I was photographing at 135mm

As the week goes by into confinement, I hope to be able to test methodically this switch even if I am not very dedicated to these kind of works...

So, here are two shots. One of the flower perfectly focused and one of myself doing the job.
i-ZB8CVH6-X4.jpg
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

i-LQKzvr3-L.jpg

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Even confined to home most of the time (20h/24) we escape for some walks around the area.
Today, I mounted this gorgeous 135mm lens on the 7III
To control the aperture I use the ring on the lens.
1/1000 f/5.6 ISO 100 + a bit of LR and CC
I consider that no photograph is finished without passing through software for refinement.

i-CFLS4ZH-X4.jpg

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
With a little attention you get excellent photos of simple subjects

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
This image has been posted in the thread 24mm GM by mistake.
It belongs here, not there.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
At close range with the Focus button on the right position !

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
What a lens, what a lens !...

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
When the post is highly qualified are we recognising the merits of photographer, the lens or both ?

Needless to note that the lens is exceptional, heavy and expensive while the photographer... :cautious: :whistling:

:laugh:

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Gastão (Gladstone I suppose) - Today, during a walk.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Today's crop !
Again a walk along an unpaved road and one of the flowers at home as the day ends...

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have always considered the focus limiter switch for shooting beyond the closest minimum focus distance of the lens. That way, when achieving focus on a farther out subject, the lens isn't slowed by the need to compensate for all distances.

OTOH... I was sometimes frustrated by not achieving focus on closer subjects with my Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens when, in fact, I had the focus limiter set to the longer distance setting. Until, I got totally used to using a lens with a focus limiting capability, it often took me a couple of seconds to realize why the lens was not focusing.

BTW: this looks like a great lens! I am wondering what kids of imagery that the newly introduced Tamron 70-180mm lens might achieve if shot at or close to maximum focal length wide open?

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Richard, I used the focus limiter on the flower. But while the switch was in that position I noticed that the lens was having difficulty on focusing to far distance. BUT I may be wrong. And why ? Because I noticed this and did not confirm as I was lacking time to do so as we were about to dinner.

The lens is yes, exceptional. I like it very, very much. The only issue is the weight ! A kilogram ! Terrible !
We can see that any image is clean, clear, which differentiates them from the others. And the same happens with the 24 GM !
Only after using both for a while - a while may be something like a month or many shots - we can have a clear perception of what differentiates from the others, even Sony lenses.

I have thought to buy - if I survive the Covid and things get better in terms of social meetings, which I think will happen so soon, but that is another matter - a Zeiss Batis 18mm to pair the 24 but I will not because I am afraid that it may be not so good as the 24 GM. Moreover, 18 is not far away from 24...

For the guy in the bicycle I had to fight to get the best settings even if I have seen over and over a couple - or all ? - videos from Mark Galer. In this walk when I started I had very bad results which got better to the end as I was changing them over and over. However, I must go and see those Mark's setting again.

If ever I buy a new lens - ever - it will be a GM prime. No question whatsoever !

Cheers ! :)

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
Thank you Ad for your comment ! :)
For that photo I made some 5 or 6 shots. At the moment, I got the perception that I had to compensate to get more light from the guys inside and so I did.
A little adjustment in LR also helped...

Other notes:
1 - I was using 640 ISO as sweet spot for this parameter, I saw this tip in one of Marks' videos. 320 ISO for the 7R II or III :doh:?
2 - Normally I use Auto ISO SS set to Fast !
3 - As you can see bellow neither white nor blacks are clipped.
4 - I do remember that the camera got the eyes of the guy as I was pushing the button on the lens

With some small skills and a little practice one can do good shots. (a compliment to myself ! ;))

Cheers ! :)

i-ggPLgQ3-X4.png

I was using 640 ISO as sweet spot for this parameter, I saw this tip in one of Marks' videos. 320 ISO for the 7R II or III :doh:?
For the A7m3 there's a slight dynamic range advantage in using ISO 640 instead of ISO 400 or 500, according to the data from photonstophotos. With emphasis to "slight", max. 0.4 stops in terms of shadow noise, hardly noticeable I think. The same holds for the A7Rm2 and A7Rm3. I knew this when I had the A7Rm2 but never bothered to watch the ISO value, I just shot at Auto ISO with -1 stop exposure correction as a default to prevent blown highlights.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
For the A7m3 there's a slight dynamic range advantage in using ISO 640 instead of ISO 400 or 500, according to the data from photonstophotos. With emphasis to "slight", max. 0.4 stops in terms of shadow noise, hardly noticeable I think. The same holds for the A7Rm2 and A7Rm3. I knew this when I had the A7Rm2 but never bothered to watch the ISO value, I just shot at Auto ISO with -1 stop exposure correction as a default to prevent blown highlights.
Thank you for the link Ad and for the tip about having (-)1 stop exposure.
But that doesn't work all the time, does it ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom