Sony Emount lenses or Sigma for 30 or 50/60mm

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by christian, Apr 21, 2014.

1. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Hi everyone,

I got my new Nex-5T a month and a half ago with the kit lens 16-50mm. By the way it's not the best lens but it is quite good though, well IMHO. I also bought extension tubes to be able to take macro photos with great results. This lens seems better with extension tubes (Viltrox, very very good! 30€ with the electronic contacts. A lot cheaper than the ones from kenko. Around 150€).
    Anyway, I really need your opinion between the Sony lenses 30 and 50mm OSS and the Sigma one (30 and 60mm) because I'd like to improve my shots and do portraits.
    First, would you buy the 30mm type or 50/60mm type? Which kind of lens do you prefer?
    Secondly, which brand gives better results in terms of sharpness, stabilisation, color, brightness, light...?
    Sigma is way cheaper, so I'm really considering this option but in the meantime the sony lenses seems to be better.

Please give your opinion and help me out :)

Thank you very much in advance.
    Don't hesitate to take a look at my flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/118310489@N03/

2. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi
    (warning; never got any good shot).
    Get the sony 50mm great with the OSS you can escape with very low shutter speeds and low Isos at very dark places.
    Sigmna 30mm is also very very good but it will not give you the compression for portraits plus there is no stabilization.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have the 30mm Sigma and always been pleased with the results.

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Get the 50mm Sony or 60mm Sigma if portrait is your goal. I chose the Sony because it is more flexible. It is more than one stop faster than Sigma and it has stabilization. I had the 30mm Sigma. It's an exceptional normal lens, but at 30mm (45mm) and f/2.8 it certainly isn't a portrait lens.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    First, those are all great lenses for their price, except the Sony 30mm f/3.5, which is just mediocre.

Second, it all depends on what you want to shoot. You want to shoot portraits? Buy the longest lens you can afford (to buy AND to use - a longer distance to the subject is not always possible, for example in smaller studios).

Out of your options, the choices are pretty clear. You shoot portraits in a studio with strobes? Buy the Sigma 60mm 2.8. It's slightly sharper than the Sony 50 1.8, it has a more ideal focal length for most portraits and it's cheaper. If you want a more versatile lens and shoot mostly portraits with available light, buy the Sony 50mm lens. It has a slightly less clinical rendering than the Sigma 60, it's pretty sharp in the center even wide open and it's fast.

6. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    For portraits in good light, the Sigma 60mm is wickedly sharp. For portraits in less-than-perfect available light, I suggest the Sony 50mm f/1.8. That Sony is fast, sharp and stabilised -- and it comes in black now. I have both; but if I'm taking a longer lens, I usually take the Sigma because I have stabilisation on my Sony 35.

7. d1rtyice

d1rtyice TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 19, 2014
    How is the quality for the Sigma 30 mm ? Or better to get Sony 35 mm ??

Sent from my Lenovo S650 using TalkEmount mobile app

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Same situation as with the 50 and 60 - both are great lenses, the more expensive one is faster so it's better suited for low light situations.

• Like Like x 1
  9. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Thank you all for your answers. So most of you advise me to go for the 50mm from Sony if I understand well. I forgot to mention that I also want to take night scenes in cities(on tri-pod for long exposures), so the Sony one seems to be even better for this as it is brighter.

And what do you think of the Tamron 18-200mm compared to the 55-210mm from Sony? I know the Tamron is more versatile due to its focal range but in terms of quality images from 50mm and higher, which one's the best?

10. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    If you're going to put it on a tripod, I'd suggest that you let the tripod do the work (use a longer exposure) rather than using the 50mm wide open. If you stop the 50mm down, it gets much sharper. And at f/5.6, it's sharp corner to corner.

11. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I have not used the Sony 35mm yet but I do have the Sigma 30mm. The Sigma 30 is a very nice lens but I am thinking of selling it for the Sony.

F/2.8 is not always fast enough for low light and the Sony is over a stop faster. Although OSS is not essential at this FL, I do feel that it would help for awkward shots where your arms are in front of you.. It's also probably a little more futureproof as Sony will likely support it. From a sharpness standpoint, its a toss up from the reviews I have seen so you can't go wrong either way. If you use filters, 49mm is common to a many of the other Sony APS-C E lenses.

I'm interested to see if the Sony AF is a little more accurate on non-PDAF cameras like the 5N. The Sigma is OK, but not great.

• Like Like x 1
  12. d1rtyice

d1rtyice TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 19, 2014
    Oh thanks.. Then I'll just look into sony's prime lens..

Sent from my Lenovo S650 using TalkEmount mobile app

13. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I sold my old Sigma 30mm for the Sony 35F18 when our little princess was born ;-)...
    The price point of the Sigma is unbeatable... half the price of the Sony' but the OSS and the extra stop were important for me...
    So you could get either the Sony or the Sigma 30 plus another one (recommend the 60mm) for nearly the same price... but slower and no OSS, so its up to you...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Hmmm, just thinking... the SEL50F18 is US$299 new. The Sigma 30 2.8 Art is US$199 new (if you can find one... the black version seems to be backordered everywhere I look online). That's US$500 for both focal lengths, and at least one is a fast f1.8. The Sony SEL35F18 is regularly US$449, but is now on sale for US$399, and I have a feeling it may stay at that price for awhile as Sony seems to be emphasizing FE lens development right now.

So... you can get two good lenses for almost the price of one: one "normal" lens from Sigma (30mm) that gets stellar reviews for sharpness that will make a very good walking-around outdoor lens, and one fast/bright "portrait" from Sony (SEL50F18) that will work well in available light indoors and out.

Thoughts on that plan?

• Like Like x 1
  15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not a bad plan.

I personally have the 19mm Sigma and 50mm SEL. I had the 30mm Sigma, but with the 50mm SEL, the 30mm was not getting any play.

• Like Like x 1