Sony E to A-Mount adaptor for Sony A55

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JoanALopez, Jul 22, 2014.

1. JoanALopez

JoanALopez New to TalkEmount

Jul 22, 2014
    Hey - Might be a stupid question but I've just bought a Sony A55 (a really nice camera - would strongly recommend it to entry-level photographers) and also have an NEX-VG10E which comes with an amazing E-mount lens (18-200mm). Any chance I can mount the E-lens on my A-mount Alpha camera? I know that Sony do an adaptor for the other way around, and also know that the sensor on the NEX is much closer to the lens than in the Alpha, so any adaptor would have to involve an optical mechanism, but just hoping really. Haven't been able to find anything. If not, does anyone have recommendations for a similarly versatile lens for the Alpha series? I think this is the equivalent but is really expensive. Thanks!

2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    The reason why an E mount camera can mount almost anything with an adapter, and the Alpha can’t, is down to flange focal distance.

The distance from the lens mount to the sensor on an E-mount is 18mm, and the distance from the mount to the sensor on an Alpha is 44.5mm. So if you want an adapter for an Alpha lens on an E-mount camera it just needs to be 44.5-18 = 26.5mm long.

You can't have an adapter -26.5mm long to go the other way.
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Would it be possible to build an adapter? Maybe. In fact, yes, it would. But such an adapter would need an incredibly complex optical design, which involves a huge amount of glass, i.e. big, heavy and damn expensive. No one will build such an adapter as there's not many reasons why you should build an adapter which is bigger, heavier and more expensive than any E-Mount stills camera just to use those lenses on Alpha bodies.

As for equivalents, there are many cheap 18-200mm lenses for A-Mount. Quality wise, they're all okay. Probably not as good as the E-Mount one, but hey, they're a heck of a lot cheaper. And if you want actually good quality, you'll need to sacrifice a little comfort anyway and go either for primes or for a 24-70 / 70-200 combo.