• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony e mount - worth investment? (For 10+ years from now)

rakeshvenkat

New to TalkEmount
Hey ,

So I'm moving to FF , And wanted to buy an A7ii and few quality lenses. My question is - will Sony keep this mount around for long ?

I want my lenses to last for long long time. (I do plan to upgrade the A7ii for newer stuff later on)

But will it last more than the next 3-4-5 years? (I mean , decade or two)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
real estate digital marketing agencies runwal dombivli 2 bhk flats in dadar

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Hey ,

So I'm moving to FF , And wanted to buy an A7ii and few quality lenses. My question is - will Sony keep this mount around for long ?

I want my lenses to last for long long time. (I do plan to upgrade the A7ii for newer stuff later on)

But will it last more than the next 3-4-5 years? (I mean , decade or two)
The E-mount has been made an open standard by Sony. Therefore the communication of the AF system is shared with all manufacturers. The selection of E mount lenses has become the most broadest in mirrorless cameras. E mount is also spec for their professional Video cameras. And lenses can be designed to f/0.95. The mount will have a stable, long term support.
You only need to study previous mounts. Nikon's F mount has been around for 40 years. It's smaller in diameter than E mount, and it's still functioning fine.

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
Even if Sony where to stop making them today there will be a reasonable number of native lenses around in ten years time. As well the option to adapt non native lenses something the A7ii does very well.
AFAIK there are no signs of Sony planning on stopping production so I think it is one of the safer mounts to bet on.
I intend to still be using my A7ii in 5 years, but it is possible I'll get seduced by a newer body or even system..

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I know this will be hard to hear [read] for some, but I suggest you wait until you can afford an A7iii.
This is coming from someone who started with a Nex-7, saved up for an A7ii and finally pulled the trigger on an A7iii. All in the course of however long I've been a member here.
By doing so, you won't be investing in old battery technology and you'll be getting a camera that is, IMO, one of the best ever made, by anyone. If you're looking at keeping and using this camera for 'decades' I strongly urge you to get the iii. You can thank me later, say in 10 years or so. And yes, the A7iii is that much better than the A7ii, IMO.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I could be quite happy with the capabilities of the e-Mount A7iii and A6600 for many years hence. I am sure that new models of cameras will be introduced which have bells and whistles that are very appealing, however, I doubt that either the A7iii or A6600 will become obsolete in the foreseeable future.
OTOH... The A7ii is not quite the camera that the A7iii is and the A7ii is already obsolescent...
The nice aspect of Sony cameras is that all e-mount lenses can be used on all cameras. As opposed to Canon whose APSC lenses will not fit on full frame cameras, Sony APSC lenses will work on full frame cameras in the APSC mode...

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
emount is unlikely to disappear anytime soon, for reasons WNG pointed out and probably some others. Its always possible of course, but I would not be concerned about that happening.

Whether the A7ii makes senese depends much on what and how you shoot, and of course budget you have available. I still see many great pictures around the internet being taken with the A7ii or A7Rii. Particularly if you are a mostly manual focus and/or non-action shooter, those sensors can still capture some great images. And they are very affordable, and a great value. Nevertheless, if you can stretch to the iii or iv generations, like others I would encourage you to do so. Particularly if you like to keep your bodies for several years, the latter generations have really refined many aspects, and AF is significantly improved.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I would have to rank the better ISO performance as the main reason I say go for the A7iii.
I haven't had much chance to see/use the AF in action since the grandkids are either in lock down or across an ocean away, or both. :(

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Interesting! To my way of thinking, if the sensor makes the "grab" the photog wants, what else is there. I am not interested in "how many angels fit on a pin" information.

For these very same reasons I have wondered about the differences between APS-C and "Full Frame," as seems the trend of the A7 line from Sony, including body size etc.

If it foments the image desired, the fat lady has sung, to me!

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
And, also comes the idea of compatibles...like batteries used in the A6300 will not work in later, larger, A7 bodies.

Biro

TalkEmount Regular
Two things:

1) Even with pullbacks and consolidation in the camera business, we are likely to still be left with three or four major camera manufacturers - and Sony will very likely be one of them. So will Canon.

2) Sony inherited the A mount from Minolta and then transitioned to the E mount after several years. The E mount serves all of Sony's needs for interchangeable lenses on mirrorless cameras - which is where the future is. The mount even serves Sony's full-frame and APS-C cameras.

There is no reason to believe Sony would want or need to move to yet another lens mount anytime in the forseeable future. Frankly, the new mirrorless mounts from Canon and Nikon are a bigger question to the consumer.

If you are really interested in Sony cameras, I wouldn't even think about. Buy with confidence.

Latest posts

Top Bottom