1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sony E-mount system - my journey so far

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by tbyork2014, Sep 1, 2014.

1. tbyork2014

tbyork2014 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Looks like you've had every Nex (and Nex-style) mirrorless produced, lol :D

3. tbyork2014

Jan 11, 2014
    You are right. I probably bought a camera in each of the early generations of releases, up until the NEX-6. After that it has just been A7R and A6000.

There is a lot to like about Sony products. They have always lead in terms of sensor technology, and with the autofocus speed improving as well, they are certainly amongst the top cameras around. I've certainly no envy of DSLRs, and do not think I would go back to them again - not with the size and weight of those cameras. And the ability to use nearly every makers camera lens available just makes them so versatile and useful.
    Boon

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice write up.

Having had three generations, NEX-3, F3 and finally the 6, I have enjoyed whatching the system evolve.

Each generation has gotten better and better. With the 6 and 7 we finally have systems that we don't have to apologize for and it keeps getting better.

5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Nice blog post. Enjoyed it. I am still not sure I made the right choice with e-mount 5t. I really haven't had extended use with anything else, but have played with friends' cameras. Now that I really have the photography bug and shoot just about anything, I really recognize the short comings of its menu and controls. Btw. I feel they went backwards after the NEX 7. I played with the triNav, it is genius. Right now I am at a crossroads; a6000 or new system. Your article did help me see the progress of e-mount. I would love to see an APS-C version of the A7.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tbyork2014

Jan 11, 2014
    It is indeed a long journey ahead. That's why we look at the road map for the lenses coming out. To keep us (& Sony) going in the right direction. But the sensor technology has advanced so much with Sony and those makers e.g. Nikon and Olympus who bought Sony sensors (unlike some other makers out there i.e. canon), it is clear where the future lies.

And as long as we can enjoy taking photos, get treated to new toys coming out every now and then, it will be a nice road ahead for us E-mount users. That's why I didn't sell off my E-mount accessories - I knew at some point Sony would come through and deliver some cameras which will win me back.
    Boon

7. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am of these little ones that would like to see also a a6000 capable camera with larger body and bit more of buttons. No it does not need to destroy the notion of smaller cameras but mostly to give one more option

Alex

8. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I'd still be interested in seeing a weather-sealed E-mount camera the size of the NEX-6. I once had a Panasonic TS-4 "tough" camera, which was billed as dust-, water-, and shock-resistant. Its IQ wasn't on par with the NEX, but it easily slipped into one pocket. Don't see why the same features couldn't be integrated into a NEX-size body. The Olympus OM-D E-M5 is a high-end, weather-sealed M4/3, but is both larger and heavier (287g vs 425g) than the NEX-6. Aside from being considerably more expensive, I'd really like to stay with APS-C and the E-mount platform.

Tony

9. tbyork2014

Jan 11, 2014
    I do feel the current E-mount cameras are very good indeed. If these had come out 2 years ago, I probably would not have bought into micro 4/3rds. Having said that, for quick shooting I still rely on my Olympus E-P5, although I seem to take either or both Sony's when I go out. Currently the A7R and A6000 seem to have relieved any 'GAS' for other system lenses, which is good as I'm just waiting for that 85mm fast prime from Sony in E-mount - already started saving up. May have to sell off my Sony 85/1.4 to fund this though.
    Boon