1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony E 55-150mm 1:2.8?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by addieleman, Jul 26, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If it becomes true, that would be great IMHO. Just 1 week after I bought the E 55-210mm f/(almost nothing). And I didn't even complain!

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I am almost definitely selling my 18-200 if this becomes official. DROOL.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Seems rather pointless until/unless they do a fast 16-50ish zoom as well. Which is, sadly, an on again off again rumor of long standing.

4. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Am interested in the 55-150 mm and the 16-x depending on the final quality and how the price tag is.

5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    They had in image of some lenses there (not sure if they are mock-ups or actual images) and the 55-150 looked around the same size as the 55-210 which would be great. Sigma has a 50-150 2.8 for A mount and it is huge (140mm).

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    There ARE mockups. The black Zeiss lens on this image was supposed to be the 24mm Sonnar - and we all know it doesn't look even close to this.

But after SAR completely forgets about the NEX-7 successor after saying SR5 'It comes in march' back in february and the complete lack of rumor for the 20mm f/2.8 pancake I don't think they really know much more than we do.

7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    This would be a strange focal range to release as the first fast zoom. Something in the 17-55 range would make more sense. But, I've lived long enough and not as easily surprised anymore :)

8. +1 Bimjo & Amamba;

I'm very curious what the size and weight will be. I'm absolutely interested in a lense like this but i also keep in mind that i sold al my Nikon gear because of the size and weight.

9. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Selling my Nikon D7000 served the same purpose "weight reduction". Otherwise I never sold him.

10. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    A Nex 5 with EVF or plain 6/7 and equivalent APSC lens always comes out smaller and lighter than a DSLR, the key being equivalent lens. Obviously a 5N with 18-200 vs DSLR with pancake isn't a like for like comparison. So DSLR + f2.8 telezoom will still be heavier than NEX + f2.8 telezoom. Nobody is forcing you to get a big zoom lens, but if you generally shoot with big zooms, now you can do it for lighter. I never understand the people who insist NEX must be a compact system so the only lenses they should release be pancakes. It's an APSC sensor with physical limitations as to how small the lenses can be made. If you want small lenses then there's always Nikon 1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

11. hyena

hyena New to TalkEmount

Jul 28, 2013
    I cant understand why people would get an NEX and bolt a massive heavy zoom on it .. it just seems to completely defeat the reason for buying it and a 55-150 f2.8 zoom has got to be massive and heavy (check out similar bright zooms in Nikon canon) .. if you want to bolt a big heavy zoom on a nex why not get an APSC Dslr - better value, performance, functionality and far better lens range IMHO ?

I use the nex5R with the PZ (only reason I bought NEX over Dslr - compactness) or I should say will use it fully when I get a PZ back from Sony with the AF working properly, the 50mmSEL1.8 and as a temporary measure a Nikon 100mmf2.8/adaptor

.. If sony gets its act together and releases a decently priced f2ish 85mm then I'll get that as well and that's all I'll need to have a super compact for great family/holiday pics/video(PZ), great Bokeh portraits/street shots (50mmSEL) and the 85mm for street shots (further away) and for pics of my actress nieces in theatre (with a bit of cropping) all really lightweight and compact and all with OIS and manual focus (and focus bracketing)

I love the compactness and if I can get a working AF PZ and Sony release an OIS/AF 85mmf2ish for $300ish or less I'll be a very happy camper :)

the first lens I got for it was a $10 Minolta MD f1.7 mint manual and a $10 adapter and its made some great pictures though its hard opened up to focus more than 50% of moving shots even trying to pre focus and using focus peeking/magnification ... I know its not the sharpest lens in the pack but it has a slight softness and tint that's very flattering on portraits and is awesome against brick walls (the tint). If it were not for this little $10 lens I would have probably sent the NEX packing with all the trouble I had with the PZ backfocus

12. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I don't always need compactness. That doesn't mean I want to buy a DSLR for those times. If compactness was the only issue, why get the NEX at all, why not a Nikon V1 or a little P&S. the 18-200 and 55-210 are still smaller than their DSLR counter-parts, I would expect the 55-150 to also be. Even still even with a bigger lens, the body is smaller so the whole package is smaller.

13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    A 200g body with a 600g lens is still lighter than a 600g body with a 600g lens, right? And having that said - such a zoom should be quite a bit smaller and lighter than an equivalent SLR lens because of the smaller image circle.

14. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Exactly. It is the flexibility of the NEX body, not the size per se, that is attractive. One minute it can be almost compact-sized, the next it can be a full-blown DSLR-like camera. When I need it to be. Having the DSLR-like selection of lenses is only a good thing when you think of the NEX simply as a digital back. If you have no interest in indoor tele this can be of no interest to you. But try going to take a wedding with a 70-200/2.8 - doesn't matter if you have a APSC or FF camera, that thing is going to completely prevent you from enjoying the occasion or mark you as a paid photographer (my brother came to mine with a Canon T2i + 70-200/4... and he was the best man... needless to say it ended up on my poor sister-in-law for most of it and she was not pleased!). I reckon big as a 50-150 is going to be, it would be small/light enough on a NEX to occasionally forget about it when you need to.

15. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    A DSLR sized lens will be too large and unbalanced on Nex, yes it will still be a smaller overall package but not by much.

My Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS was a moderately sized lens for Canon, but is visibly larger than Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro - and that lens is rather large on Nex.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

16. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Oddly, that's not the case at all. The bigger the lens and lighter the camera, the sooner you forget about the camera hanging off the back of it. You basically shoot holding the lens. If you see the DPR forums there are a couple of avid shooters who have made the FD300/4L very popular, and nzmacro shoots with gigantic lenses like the 800/5.6. If the lens is long but light (18-200LE for example) you get very nice weight distribution throughout and its not a problem either.

Where you get an off-balance feel is when the lens is small but heavy but not enough of the lens to handle it by itself - the 55/1.2 legacy lenses for example. But to me the sheer quality of my FL55/1.2 makes it all worthwhile - tricky handling and all. What I probably wouldn't touch would be the Mitakon 35/0.95 that weighs 800g by itself and is only slightly longer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

17. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    It is surprising how much bulkier and heavier a lens gets when you go to f2.8. An example of this would be the Nikon or Canon 70-200mm f4 as compared with the f 2.8 lenses. I think a lens like this would come in at about three pounds or more. Personally if a zoom like this becomes reality I would prefer a little bit more on the wide end, especially with a crop sensor.

18. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Yeah, 55-150 translates into 82-225, which does not really fit with normal FF lenses. Although I guess it's close to an 80-200 if that's what you are going for. I would have much preferred 70-200, so it should have been say, 45-135, but I would have liked to have seen maybe 40-160.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Hmmm....
    It appears to me that what being said is that as a system, NEX isn't a viable replacement to SLT/DSLRs because when fast constant ƒ2.8 zooms are needed, they're too big....

20. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    This all sounds so damn stupid ... I never had a problem handling a NEX body, not even once with a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 mounted on it. As long as I can hold the weight of the lens with my left hand I don't have a problem. On top of that, with almost the same sized lenses (a bit smaller because of the smaller image circle) you can fit two bodies and a couple of lenses inside your camera bag without breaking your back - or needing to buy a house sized backpack.

The beauty of the NEX is how flexible it is. You want a P&S replacement? Buy one of the pancakes. You want a SLR replacement? Just buy all the lenses you need.