• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony E 50mm f/1.8 OSS Impressions and Samples

stratokaster

TalkEmount Regular
I had a chance to make some quick and dirty test shots with Sony NEX-5N equipped with the new 50mm f/1.8 OSS lens. The lens itself is exactly the same size as a standard 18-55mm zoom, build quality is also very similar. It comes with a rather deep hood and a 49mm cap.

My first impressions of the lens are very positive. The AF is very fast. It's also absolutely silent in operation.

Image quality seems to be very good. The lens is sharp with smooth background rendition.

Some shots:

RXU3AGEpB76g05bb6ZuF.JPG
   ---            

Full-size JPEG: http://photo.torba.com/images/pavel.urusov/f/RXU3AGEpB76g05bb6ZuF.JPG

uVHDlu4sGQk2yaisPftI.JPG
   ---            

Full-size JPEG: http://photo.torba.com/images/pavel.urusov/f/uVHDlu4sGQk2yaisPftI.JPG

hDR1792JbzRJ6Oh0tuf7.JPG
   ---            

Full-size JPEG: http://photo.torba.com/images/pavel.urusov/f/hDR1792JbzRJ6Oh0tuf7.JPG

w3YWVigbNHAF5Fcne6os.JPG
   ---            

Full-size JPEG: http://photo.torba.com/images/pavel.urusov/f/w3YWVigbNHAF5Fcne6os.JPG

Overall this is the first really good lens for the NEX series. It's also not very expensive. I really hope Sony will produce more lenses of this quality.

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
Pavel, thanks for sharing these! I haven't seen any other samples from this lens yet, and these look very good indeed. The 50 OSS should be a great addition to the NEX system.

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
I was going to wait to place my preorder for this lens but now I might have to go ahead and click buy.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Thanks for sharing those pics. I'm not stunned by the sharpness or overall quality - but for it's price point, it's okay. At least it's great to have the option for a fast 50 in your camera bag.

storyteller

TalkEmount Veteran
Lovely quality to that lens and the price is right. I just wish it was a little wider or a little longer. I'm not a big fan of 50mm on crop-frame cameras :-(

robertro

TalkEmount Rookie
When I heard that Sony was going to release a fast portrait lens; I was thrilled. Then I realized it was a 50; too short for portrait, too long for normal. Now that I see what a huge beast it is, I am really disappointed. It looks like they've just repackaged a 50mm DSLR lens, and made it longer to fit the E-mount register. What a wasted effort!

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
No 1.8 shots? the fern leaves (at f/2.5) seems soft. Maybe just too close/too little DOF? Any shots at 1.8 of a person, or at least a distant, more flat subject?

The one of the building is shot at f/9.0, but the lens is exhibiting much better corners than the Sony 16 or 18-55. That's encouraging. Hopefully it stays that way throughout it's aperture range.

stratokaster

TalkEmount Regular
Sorry, no shots at f/1.8 - it was too bright and I didn't have a ND filter with me (well, in fact I did, but it was the wrong size).

madmaxmedia

TalkEmount Regular
It looks good to me. The shot of the guy with the hair over his eyes looks very good at f/3.2.

This lens is unfortunately too long for me, in both size and focal length. ;) But it does look pretty good. I don't know how IQ compares with say the Canon 50mm f/1.8, cheaper build and no OIS but much less $$.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
It's about the most expensive 50mm f/1.8 lens out there, isn't it? Sure, it has a metal body and OSS (afaik the only lens of this kind with image stabilizer) but it's hard to tell if it's worth 3 times the price of the equal Canon lens ...

The review from Steve Huff comes next monday. I just wait for it and order it then. Hope they're shipping it until christmas.

Latest threads

Top Bottom