Sony E 50mm f/1.8 OSS Impressions and Samples

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by stratokaster, Aug 27, 2011.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    I had a chance to make some quick and dirty test shots with Sony NEX-5N equipped with the new 50mm f/1.8 OSS lens. The lens itself is exactly the same size as a standard 18-55mm zoom, build quality is also very similar. It comes with a rather deep hood and a 49mm cap.

My first impressions of the lens are very positive. The AF is very fast. It's also absolutely silent in operation.

Image quality seems to be very good. The lens is sharp with smooth background rendition.

Some shots:

Full-size JPEG:

Full-size JPEG:

Full-size JPEG:

Full-size JPEG:

Overall this is the first really good lens for the NEX series. It's also not very expensive. I really hope Sony will produce more lenses of this quality.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Pavel, thanks for sharing these! I haven't seen any other samples from this lens yet, and these look very good indeed. The 50 OSS should be a great addition to the NEX system.
  3. CesarM

CesarM TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 20, 2011
  4. Kuriizu

Kuriizu TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    Great shots man, nice DoF ;)
  5. Ross

Ross TalkEmount Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    great shots.
  6. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I was going to wait to place my preorder for this lens but now I might have to go ahead and click buy.
  7. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Thanks for the samples Pavel! A few more would be awesome, particularly portraits!
  8. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    Thanks Pavel. How did you swing this?

There are a few more sample images form this lens at ephotozine.
  9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for sharing those pics. I'm not stunned by the sharpness or overall quality - but for it's price point, it's okay. At least it's great to have the option for a fast 50 in your camera bag.
  10. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Sony 50mm f1.8 OSS review @ dc watch

You can view the full size images taken with Nex-5n:

Google Translate
  11. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Lovely quality to that lens and the price is right. I just wish it was a little wider or a little longer. I'm not a big fan of 50mm on crop-frame cameras :-(
  12. robertro

robertro TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    When I heard that Sony was going to release a fast portrait lens; I was thrilled. Then I realized it was a 50; too short for portrait, too long for normal. Now that I see what a huge beast it is, I am really disappointed. It looks like they've just repackaged a 50mm DSLR lens, and made it longer to fit the E-mount register. What a wasted effort!
  13. Toonman

Toonman TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks for the samples.
  14. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    No 1.8 shots? the fern leaves (at f/2.5) seems soft. Maybe just too close/too little DOF? Any shots at 1.8 of a person, or at least a distant, more flat subject?

The one of the building is shot at f/9.0, but the lens is exhibiting much better corners than the Sony 16 or 18-55. That's encouraging. Hopefully it stays that way throughout it's aperture range.
  15. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    Sorry, no shots at f/1.8 - it was too bright and I didn't have a ND filter with me (well, in fact I did, but it was the wrong size).
  16. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    It looks good to me. The shot of the guy with the hair over his eyes looks very good at f/3.2.

This lens is unfortunately too long for me, in both size and focal length. ;) But it does look pretty good. I don't know how IQ compares with say the Canon 50mm f/1.8, cheaper build and no OIS but much less $$.
  17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Look really good from here
  18. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    What other lenses are equally impressive 50mm f/1.8?
  19. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    It's about the most expensive 50mm f/1.8 lens out there, isn't it? Sure, it has a metal body and OSS (afaik the only lens of this kind with image stabilizer) but it's hard to tell if it's worth 3 times the price of the equal Canon lens ...

The review from Steve Huff comes next monday. I just wait for it and order it then. Hope they're shipping it until christmas.
  20. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    so we have to wait???? you said cannon has one??