1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

sony E 30mm macro ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Nievesgirl, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Nievesgirl

Nievesgirl TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Is this the only true macro ( at a reasonable price) for Nex series ? I looked at the archive but only a few pictures posted.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That would be the only e-mount macro lens available. Unless you're in love with the focal length, there are many options from among the SLR macro lens ranks (manual focus) that perform admirably and can be had less expensively.

I don't have the SEL macro lens, but there's two things keeping me from getting it: 1) the short working distance, and 2) autofocus, which for macro shots really isn't necessary.

3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I have a 50mm legacy for sale on eBay right now, you would need a MD to Nex adapter.

http://bit.ly/1cpNWNG

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The 30mm 3.5 is not even a good lens, let alone the very short focal length for macro work. In a few months, the 50mm f/2.8 Zeiss Touit will be released, which definitely is going to be a first class lens. If you don't want to wait or pay that much, there are dozens of legacy macro lenses that are pretty good.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The Sony 30/3.5 macro costs about as much as a Sigma 30/2.8 and a legacy 50mm macro. I'd go the latter route. As Bimjo said, autofocus generally isn't of much use in macro and the Sigma 30/2.8 offers you image quality and AF in a handy package.

6. Vitaly

Vitaly TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Orel - somewhere in Russia
    Vitaly
    The name "macro" (E 3,5/30 Macro) - it's just a marketing ploy.It's probably best to call it "close-up lens." DSC02318 b. DSC02235 b.

7. Nievesgirl

Aug 28, 2013
    SoCal

Yes I am not in love with that length at all. I guess should look for a canon mount macro that won't be too heavy. I have a sigma 105mm and that thing is heavy ! I would like to use lens for flowers/succulent shots.

8. Nievesgirl

Aug 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Yes nothing over $400 really. Also what are Legacy lenses ? I never heard of that term before ?

9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Legacy lenses are lenses that no longer be produced, for example Minolta MD lenses. They are pretty cheap used on ebay and the quality is quite good if you buy the right lenses.

10. F77

F77 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2013
    Benevento
    Francesco
    According to me it's a good lens nothing special but ok...the AF it's slow so use MF.
    Try to find an used one.

Sample shot
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1378017688.995091.

11. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    I bought the NEX macro and was pretty disappointed by it. I took it back the next day for a refund. It didn't seem to do anything well...