Showcase Sony E 16mm f/2.8

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
It's not a bad lens at all. These two pictures were taken in rather dim-light, so they aren't tack-sharp, regardless I was pleased with the results.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/travisennis/6032184672/" title="West Baden Springs Hotel by travisennis, on Flickr">View attachment 23771"426" height="640" alt="West Baden Springs Hotel"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/travisennis/6031629321/" title="West Baden Springs Hotel by travisennis, on Flickr">View attachment 23772"426" height="640" alt="West Baden Springs Hotel"></a>

navinmahabir

New to TalkEmount
Nex-3, 16mm samples

The online reviews don't give this lens a lot of credit, but I find in the real world it does rather well. It's not highest resolving lens, but distortion is very well controlled (unlike the standard kit lens) and it gives a unique perspective - one that seems to match the APS-C sensor size well. Except for the dog pic, these are all shot in JPEG with the toy filter on the Nex-3; brightness, contrast, and unsharp mask adjustments in Photoshop.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jtso

New to TalkEmount
Kinda wish I bought the 2 lens set instead of just 18-55mm kit. I guess I will wait for another pancake to come out.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm kinda happy I've bought the 2 lens kit, although I had to wait 6 weeks for it 'cos it wasn't available anywhere when the NEX-5 came out..

I just looked into my library and had to admit that I hardly ever used it ... Well, here at least two shots I got at the beginning. I really like the lens. It's compact, well build and gives the pictures a unique look, so although it's not about sharpness, it does pretty well for most compositions and it's going to be good enough for most of the NEX-3/5-shooters out there. And hey, you were able to get it for 100 bucks with the double lens kit. ;)

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Williamsburg, VA

View attachment 24001

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
The 16mm is my main lens on the NEX-3. Wide open it isn't as sharp from corner to corner (and it doesn't render as "harsh") as other pancakes like the Panasonic 14mm or 20mm lenses on m4/3 cameras. However, the 16mm sharpens up very nicely when you stop down to f/4 or f/5.6.

This lens has really grown on me. When I first bought it I was disappointed because it wasn't as tack sharp wide open as my other pancake lenses, but the more I use it the more I realize it's a very convenient and fun lens.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Like I said some weeks ago, I haven't used it much past year. So I decided today to go out and shoot something with it. One reason was that I'm not plan to take the kit zoom with me as soon as I got the 50mm, but for the moments I need a wider lens, the 16mm could do the job, and it's small enough to fit in every pocket. Well, the results aren't as good as I hoped, but judge by yourself.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/6285317895/" title="SEL16F28 1 Landscape by Poki5, on Flickr">View attachment 24164"1024" height="682" alt="SEL16F28 1 Landscape"></a>

This is the only picture today I'm happy with. To be fair, the light conditions weren't good (I was a bit too late) and it was just a short trip. What you can see even in the resized version: The corner sharpness isn't good at all - stopped down at f/7.1!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/6285838928/" title="SEL16F28 3 by Poki5, on Flickr">View attachment 24165"1024" height="682" alt="SEL16F28 3"></a>

Again stopped down to f/7.1. It isn't absolutely sharp even in the center, but center performance is okay for it's price. As far as I saw on many pictures, chromatic aberrations are well controlled.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/6285843156/" title="SEL16F28 4 by Poki5, on Flickr">View attachment 24166"1024" height="682" alt="SEL16F28 4"></a>

Here's what you get wide open at f/2.8. Bokeh isn't good by any meaning, but it has character to me. Here's a 100%-crop of the image above:

View attachment 297

It's a 100% crop, so judge by yourself. What do you think?

As always, taken using the NEX-5 and post processed via Aperture 3.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I prefer 28mm equivalent to 24mm equivalent, but I'm finding the NEX 16 to be more versatile than I thought it would be. Just a couple snaps of my boys taken in a Korean grocery store with the NEX-C3 and 16/2.8:

olli

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
olli
Turns out I'm not the only person in Tbilisi with a NEX. I came across another expat who has the NEX-5 with the two lens kit. So I borrowed his 16 and took a few shots.

DSC02346 by ...olli..., on Flickr

DSC02334 by ...olli..., on Flickr

DSC02316 by ...olli..., on Flickr

DSC02362 by ...olli..., on Flickr​

As is usual most of the internet whining turns out to be just that - a lot of whining. Seems like a very decent lens to me. Might even get one.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Great color. Really well done series, Olli. I agree too that the lens is a good one.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
My house is in the distance just above home plate:

I like this lens for family shots at close quarters:

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Olli, I like the colors and composition as Amin said. Very nice lens for those street shots.

Amin, B&W shots is priceless:) The plate shot is nice to show the environment. I see that NG photographers use it a lot with animal shots to show the environment/tell the story in one shot.

Macjim, nice shot also. However, the main subject looks darker on my screen, maybe needs a little highlighting.

yunfat

TalkEmount Rookie
the lake at pen-y-pass

macjim

TalkEmount Regular
, nice shot also. However, the main subject looks darker on my screen, maybe needs a little highlighting.
yes, it is a bit but the very bright sky, plus the wheel being in the shade made it a so.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Rail Bridge at Dawn

16mm f8 1/160 ISO-Auto
Post Processing: Adobe Photoshop

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom