Sony Customer Experience Improvement Program

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Dec 19, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    You can't make this stuff up.

Sony's Customer Relations website has a 'sticky' inviting people to join.
    I decided I'd sign up and see what it was all about.

BUT.......
    1) The link imbedded in the sticky to use for signing up does not work...Sony message comes up saying: "Survey does not exist";
    2) When attempting to use the Email link to the Sony moderator who listed the sticky, Email Postmaster rejects it as an invalid Email address.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-...nce-Improvement-Program-CXIP/m-p/99991#U99991

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Omg sony trolling

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Trolling ??

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice one.

5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    BTW - I thought about you and your Sony customer service issue the other day. Background :
    I took my 5t in for service to repair USB port. It hasn't worked for some time, but I waited until i got my a6000 to send it in. I asked the Camera store how long it would take and got an interesting answer. I won't say the store, but they are very reputable.
    Anyway, the guy says anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month. I asked why the long interval, "was it for parts?". He said it's because unlike Fuji, Olympus and Canikon, Sony doesn't have a dedicated camera repair center, they don't treat cameras any different than their other electronics. They center could be bogged down repairing a bunch of PS4s and Blu-ray players. They all go to the same place as the cameras. He said, that's also why you can't get straight answers from them.
    In the end, I got it back 35 days later.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Which also begs another question.
    Usually after a few years of a product being in a market, some independent repair place or another starts to get a good reputation for repairing product XYZ.
    Was wondering if by now, anyone knows of any independent camera repair places that might be up to speed repairing NEX cameras?

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Lame

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've only had one experience with Sony repair (good), but it makes me wonder: do other electronics companies that also produce cameras, such as Panasonic and Samsung, have dedicated camera repair centers? I can see why Canon and Nikon would have them. And yes, I know that Canon also makes printers. But given that cameras are only a minor part of Sony's business, and electronics play such a major part in their cameras, I don't know that it would make much sense for them to devote an entire center to that small part of their overall repairs. Could be, but I don't know. :hmmm:

9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    David, that makes sense. We have to acknowledge Cameras are just a tiny part of the Sony business. This may also be the reason for the new Pro service Sony is setting up. Either way, it doesn't make me feel any better since I am not a pro and have no plans on becoming a pro. I just want good service.

Note: All was not bad. Sony did repair the faulty USB no questions asked. I just paid $19 in shipping and processing fees. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    True, true.

11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I have a different view of that, after being in I T technical support for 46 years, both with I BM & state of North Carolina... When a decision is made to start up a line of business in a corporation, plans for the service part of it go hand in hand

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That should be a given.

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, it should be

14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Please don't mistake my post as an attempt to excuse bad service, roundball. I was merely wondering whether Sony's decision to lump their camera service in with their other products was out of the norm for their kind of company. That's all.

15. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Trolling is internet slang, for someone taking the piss ;D

16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Oh no, I didn't think that at all...and my reply was only to attempt to show that the common practice for corporations is to in fact flesh out the "service strategy" component of any new product line that's planned for a market.
    Estimate the sales volumes, use all the component quality / life expectancy factors, mean-time-to-failures, workload & cost associated with supporting it all, etc.
    And I'm not preaching some textbook...as I mentioned I've done it, lived it for 30 years with IBM and 16 years with North Carolina, 10 years coming up the I/T technical ladder, then 36 years managing various technical support operations and centers for new waves of products that were planned / released, etc.

Unfortunately, judging from the growing sentiment on multiple fronts about sony's product / customer support, evidently they have somehow missed the boat in planning for / funding the associated support effort for the NEX line...which is the only models I have first hand knowledge about so that's all I'm referencing. And that level of support is also why I asked if anyone knew of any independent reputation emerging about repair work on sony cameras...as an option to not even have to deal with sony.

17. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'm afraid "taking the piss" isn't going to work for us Yanks, Chris. That phrase means about as much to us as the "infield fly rule" means to you Aussies. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Oh, I know what it means...just surprised you thought that's what my post was. I was just shocked beyond belief when I tried to sign up for the advertised customer improvement program and found that neither the link nor the email worked.
    The irony of that on the very announcement post about a customer improvement program is staggering, LOL.

19. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Hahah your totally right. I had to look that up on google lol.

Its like you say, beyond a joke. Seems to me the only way this could happen if sony totally knew and just did it for a laugh.

20. Kitlard

Kitlard New to TalkEmount

Jan 24, 2015
    Unfortunately it's not a joke.
    Try it yourself.
    The link to the application form is broken and the email is invalid :(

I got to this thread looking for a way to somehow join the CXIP...