Sony complaints / improvements / upgrades needed

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by zulfur666, Apr 1, 2015.

1. zulfur666

zulfur666 TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 22, 2015
    Thought I start a threat hope it does not just become a rant, but useful improvement list for Sony E mount and other Sony systems. Having recently migrated from micro four thirds to Sony E Mount FF here are my (minor) complaints I think could be improved:
    the app Sony Smart remote control leave a lot to be desired.... aka GPS data does not work to be transferred back to the camera images RAW files or jpg like on Olympus...
    Camera time does not sync with smart phone time when the phone and camera are synced (Olympus does that) useful when travel to different time zone.
    however can be done in LR afterwards with a gpx file.... but could also be improved with Sony Firmware upgrade :)

Then there is no copyright info input in camera... however can be done when importing the images into LR. Just if you email or post the jpg's right away you have no copyright info in your image exif files.
    but could also be improved with Sony Firmware upgrade :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Ok here is my list of things that Sony can quite easily fix in the A7 series

1) Eye sensor is too sensitive. I have actually solved this by putting a sticker over the left half of the eye sensor but that is far from ideal. Olympus with the EM1 has the most elegant solution to this. When you tilt the LCD screen the eye sensor is switched off - ideal for shooting from the hip or reviewing images.

2) Adding a minimum shutter speed option to auto iso. Practically every other manufacturer has this.

3) Better bracketing options including 1) a 2 second delay and 2) bracketing from a single shutter click.

4) Far better wireless remote. One that comes with the Meike battery grip is perfect. Something like this that works without needing a battery grip.

3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Their firmware releases have been pretty lacking. And largely just bug fixes rather than feature expansion. I still vote for open source, provide us with a SDK and let us make our own custom firmware. Void our warranty fine. But let me make a damn interval timer....and maybe remove the compression on RAW

4. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I dont see that happening. However a very obvious move for Sony is to release an SDK for its 'app store' (Playmemories). It is a complete waste of time as it is at the moment.

5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I can dream.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Uncompressed raw files would be huge. 24 MP RGB image at 14 bit is roughly 6 times as large in bytes and that is about 150 MP. Anyways RAW file compression should be lossless.

I would like to have list of legacy lenses in the camera so that I could choose one when shooting. Better auto modes would be even better. Focus bracetting would be nice too (say 'take 5 images having 1 cm of focus shift per image').

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I know our sony camera's are some of the most customisable as far as buttons go but it can still be improved. Please sony let me map silent shutter to a custom button!

8. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    1) Clarify the menu system. From the NEX tile based UI to the A7's menu-within-menu system, the UI needs to be more intuitive and faster. At first I thought it was just me being not used to it after having shot Canon for years. But a year later with the Sony, I still have no idea where everything is.

2) More Affordable High Quality Lenses. With the way body prices drop and rebated shortly after a new product launch, Sony's business model seems to be banking on their expensive lenses. This is a smart setup, but there needs to be something within the midrange between their low-end affordable lenses, and their high-end (often way too expensive for what it is) Zeiss branded lenses. Sony should develop their G-range to fit this niche better.

3) Improve Autofocus on the FF Cameras. If the A7's autofocus was as good as DSLRs, I think DSLRs would be gone like netbook laptops and MP3 players within a few years. The FF mirrorless systems is not there yet, so the mainstream professional still cannot rely on the A7 series for their professional work.

4) Fix the Flash Situation. Sony was handicapped to begin with because they started out with the Minolta flash mount (where different for being different's sake means no aftermarket support). Sony has since gone to the multi-interface setup, but honestly, I can't hook up a native Sony flash on a bracket, without spending $70 on their sync cord and sync cord adapter.

5) Invest in Your Consumers. Sony is obviously a well known brand and electronics conglomerate, but its entry into the photographic world is very recent. Its corporate philosophies and practices show that it isn't a camera maker like Canon or Nikon or Fujifilm and this makes photographers like me hesitant in investing in their systems. The A-mount folks have been burned with the introduction with the E-mount, and quite honestly, there is no financial reason to develop two camera mount systems in parallel if one of them has a lot more growth potential than another. NEX folks are burned since the intro of the FE system, as it seems like all the new lenses are full frame lenses and there isn't a clear roadmap for future E-mount APSC sensors as there is for the FF.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    You know, I don't think this is constructive. Sony isn't listening. This is just ranting to each other. After kicking up a stink on mu-43 about leaving for the better land of a7ii, it's sad to see OP starting off here by kicking up a complaint thread.

Sorry, just sayin'.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, if all you're after here is to blow off a little steam, then by all means go for it. But I think WT21 is right. If you really want to send a message to Sony, then, um, send a message to Sony. In other words, contact Sony directly and tell them what you want to see in their next camera. They have contact info on their web site, and IMhO the most direct route to your destination is most often the best route.

As WT21 said: "just sayin."

11. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And as an aside, IMO, "the horses are already out of the gate" anyway.
    Other than bona fide problems / fixes, sony resource investments are surely prioritized into the next series of models they're working on, not "old iron".

12. BrettRGM

BrettRGM New to TalkEmount

Oct 28, 2014
    As a general rule, I agree, it ain't Fuji (who seem to be pulling back from the whole kaizen thing anyway), if it's not on the original camera, don't expect them to start adding features.

2 of his 3 gripes were with the sony playmemories app though, and they seem to be updating that thing on my devices every second day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    You all do know Sony does not read this. ;-)

I don't want this to become a whine session though. They are what they are. As I say too my kids, "Whinning about it ain't gonna change it."

That said, my one and only suggestion on the A6000 would be to swap the two top control wheels.

14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't see how you can make the claim that anyone is flaming you here, zulfur666. The fact is, everybody who has responded has been polite, even if some of us don't necessarily think that your course of action will pay off. And as I said, if you just want to blow off some steam at Sony, then by all means go for it. But if your goal is to make changes to Sony's future direction, then you'd be better off contacting them directly, because I wouldn't expect anybody from Sony to read these threads.

15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    LOOK SOMETHING SHINY (grabs camera and runs away)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt