• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony Cameras and Battery Drain

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed that Sony cameras tend to drain their batteries even when turned off. I have an A7 Classic, an RX10 and an RX100 V. This phenomenon is striking compared to any other digital camera that I have owned.

Of course, like an idiot, I have only recently begun keeping my cameras in Airplane Mode. It remains to be seen just how much this will help. I'd be interested in some feedback on this subject - and any other ways to preserve battery life if I'm not using my cameras everyday.

Is simply taking the battery out of the camera and resetting all my preferences every time I go out shooting the only real way to preserve battery life? All of my other cameras can go many months before installed batteries run down. With my Sonys, it's a matter of a few weeks.

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I've had my D7k Nikon in the cabinet now for a couple of months and the battery is still OK. I changed it just for drill though.
I haven't let my Sony's sit that long to see any significant drain in them. Except that one time when the TAP did me in.

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Yeah. Same issue here. Never had this issue with any other manufacturer. Not sure why.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I have not noticed a significant drain when the camera is off and stored. The exception would be when certain AF adapters are attached, e.g. the TAP as mentioned. Then again, I seldom leave the camera in storage for more than a few days at most.

Why reset all your preferences, though? Removing the battery alone will not do that, and I see no battery-related reason to do so. If you are looking for extending battery life while using it, lots of articles are out there. Suggestions I have seen include turning off pre-focus (good idea anyway imo), using AF-S instead of AF-C if that works for what you're shooting, airplane mode (some say it is negligible), turning down/off either the LCD or the EVF and just using one of them especially LCD for battery, setting a lower auto-power-off time, etc. And turn it off when not using it.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
Why reset all your preferences, though? Removing the battery alone will not do that, and I see no battery-related reason to do so. If you are looking for extending battery life while using it, lots of articles are out there. Suggestions I have seen include turning off pre-focus (good idea anyway imo), using AF-S instead of AF-C if that works for what you're shooting, airplane mode (some say it is negligible), turning down/off either the LCD or the EVF and just using one of them especially LCD for battery, setting a lower auto-power-off time, etc. And turn it off when not using it.

I assume that if the camera has no source of power at all long enough, the internal battery will also run down and settings will be lost. Perhaps the memory is non-volatile.

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
Don't know about other cameras, but my main Sony NEX7 batteries will trickle down some if I leave a body unattended for 3-4 weeks. I learned there is a small internal battery that keeps power to basic circuits like time of day clock...(possibly other things)...maybe the main Sony battery keeps that small internal battery charged when sitting in storage...dunno.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
The main battery provides charge of the internal 'battery' more like a capacitor. If your camera has been idle for about 4 weeks, the main battery will be dead.
But then again, if your camera has been sitting for a month, you aren't shooting enough. :)

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
The main battery provides charge of the internal 'battery' more like a capacitor. If your camera has been idle for about 4 weeks, the main battery will be dead.
That internal battery or capacitor, whatever it is, lasts a long time without a battery. My NEX-6 hardly ever has a battery in it and the clock still shows the right time months and months after the battery was removed.
But then again, if your camera has been sitting for a month, you aren't shooting enough.:)
Yep, you totally miss out on the therapeutic value of photography ;).

Golfhacker27

TalkEmount Regular
I have noticed that passive battery drain is lower on the non-Sony cheap batteries that I purchased via Amazon than on the genuine Sony items.
Have two bodies (A7 and A6000), two genuine Sony batteries and four non-Sony batteries.
Just makes the non-Sony items seem even better value.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I have noticed that passive battery drain is lower on the non-Sony cheap batteries that I purchased via Amazon than on the genuine Sony items.
Have two bodies (A7 and A6000), two genuine Sony batteries and four non-Sony batteries.

Good to know. Which third-party brand of batteries do you use? And, for that matter, generally how much longer do they seem to last on a charge?

Last edited:

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
A simple workaround is USB charging while you're not using the camera. No, it doesn't solve the problem, but it means I have a fully charged battery when I grab the camera. Then I just rotate through my six batteries. :rolleyes:

Golfhacker27

TalkEmount Regular
Good to know. Which third-party brand of batteries do you use? And, for that matter, generally how much longer do they seem to last on a charge?
I use MTB batteries. Got a 2-pack with charger about 2 years ago. Then added 2 more a year ago when I got a second Alpha body.
I would not say that they last longer in use. They are equivalent to the genuine. But they definitely hold charge better when not in use.
After 2 years of frequent use and many recharges for the original set, it speaks for the decent quality and lifespan of these batteries.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I would not say that they last longer in use. They are equivalent to the genuine. But they definitely hold charge better when not in use.
After 2 years of frequent use and many recharges for the original set, it speaks for the decent quality and lifespan of these batteries.

Yes, you're quite clear. Excellent... and worth trying. Thanks so much.

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran

Wouldn't it be funny if the issue was the power used to constantly check the battery to make sure it's "genuine" and generics don't have that issue, lol.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I'm not finding MTB batteries anywhere. Perhap I'll take a shot with Wasabis on Amazon or Watsons from B&H

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
For what it is worth, I have a couple of Wasabis that came with my used A6000 a couple of years ago, along with a Sony battery. And I have a Sony that came with the A7ii. By comparison there is nothing outstanding or amazingly better, but they have worked just fine and I have not noticed they last any less time than Sony's.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
I have a pair of Watsons from B&H. They've lasted as well as the original Sony. And they better at the price for each, compared to other aftermarket batteries.
Also have a pair of Neewer batteries. They function as expected but are lighter than the other two and don't last as long. But they will still yield 250-300 shots on a fresh charge.

lamontcranston

TalkEmount Rookie
I've been hoping that Sony would come out with a new firmware update that would address the high battery drain issue. But I haven't been holding my breath.

Latest threads

Top Bottom