1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony announces new FF lenses

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by NickCyprus, Sep 15, 2014.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

Gotta say, that 90mm macro 2.8 got my attention! If its reasonably priced (like the APS-C 18-105) I'm getting it :)

p.s. Don't see anything for APS-C though (new lenses, etc) so perhaps they see their future in Full Frame territory...

• Like Like x 2
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Hmmm, I may be tempted by the 90mm as well, will work on APS-C, and be future proof when I inevitably go FF.

• Like Like x 2
  3. taz98spin

taz98spin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 14, 2014
    Glad that I held off on buying the SEL35F28Z, the new 35mm Zeiss f/1.4 might be my first AF prime lens for my A7S.

• Like Like x 1
  4. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Finally an exiting lens for me! HA HA Just kidding, but it's true that we've been waiting a long time for a true native Emount macro lens. In APS-C it would be 135mm, that's perfect for me, and already FF proof if I go FF. That will be a good investment for sure. Just hoping it's not too expensive though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I instanly thought of you when I first read the 90mm macro announcement :D
    I was about to post it on your new "seeds, feather and water" thread...:D

6. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    HA HA I've been following up this news on Sonyalpharumors since at least a whole week now! LOL

7. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LoFi

LoFi TalkEmount Regular

Nov 16, 2013
    Eliot
    yay a good 35!

and, isnt AF not needed for macro shots? or much less useful than other types of photography

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Generally you would MF for macro yes - but I would hope it would make a nice portrait lens as well where AF would be handier.

• Like Like x 1
  10. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Absolutly. Usually a 90mm macro lens is a very versatile lens. So it's always good to have AF. By the way I do use AF sometimes in macro too, but with the flexible spot mode, when shooting insects. In this case you have to go fast to capture them

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/118310489@N03/

• Like Like x 1
  11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Biggest surprise for me is the appearance of an aperture ring on the incoming Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4:

sony_35mm_hands_on_04.

It also features a click/unclick switch, presumably for video?

sony_35mm_hands_on_05.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    • Like Like x 1
  13. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    35mm 1.4 looks like a big lens, esp compared to CV 35mm 1.4... I prefer the smaller 28mm f2... Still there is no 85mm for a while...

14. LoFi

LoFi TalkEmount Regular

Nov 16, 2013
    Eliot
    ah, gotcha!

15. shnitz

shnitz TalkEmount Regular

Jun 15, 2014
    I don't think that this portends anything regarding full frame vs APS-C. You don't seem to be factoring in that full frame lenses are perfectly capable on APS-C cameras. When I shot with crop sensor DSLRs, I used full frame 50mm, 90mm, 180mm, 70-200mm f/2.8, and 300mm f/4 lenses, all "full frame" lenses. If you look online, you will see many users that shot like my friends and I did, for example those that used the Nikon 17-35mm with a D200 or D7000, or the Canon 17-40mm L with a 40D.

As far as pricing, I have no reason to believe that it would be out of line compared to the FE 35mm and 55mm lenses, so I'd be guessing a bit over $1,000. I really want the 55mm as it would be a perfect portrait lens for my NEX-6, but it would need to be 2/3 of its price for me to consider it.

16. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It's interesting to see that the 35/1.4 has an aperture ring and that the 90/2.8 macro has an actual focus ring with a distance scale.

I've definitely got my eye on the macro. Old-school as I currently am, I would definitely welcome the reintroduction of autofocus and stabilization for certain occasions.

17. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    I am already putting money away so that I can buy the 90mm macro. From the pictures it looks like its been designed old school, despite having AF. It seems, to me, designed with manual focussing in mind. What I am really looking for ward to is the Manual focus assist coming on automatically. It will make working on the copy stand simplier.

18. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José

While this is true, an FF lens of same aperture/focal length as an APS-C will be significantly larger/heavier. So there is a penalty in using FF lenses on APS-C. For this reason I hope Sony do keep making dedicated APS-C lenses and don't just consider the weight penalty acceptable for us yet to/not going FF.

• Like Like x 4
  19. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 5
  20. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    With these recent announcements we currently have 34 lenses (incl. colors variations) for the E-mount system!!! Which IMHO, is not bad at all :)

11 x APS-C Zooms
    6 x FF Zooms
    10 x APS-C Primes
    7 x FF Zooms

and that's not counting the 3rd party companies (ie. Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon etc)