• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony announced shipment delays on the α7SIII, α7II, α6400, α6100, ZV-E10 due to the worldwide chip shortage

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Note the A7III, RIII, RIV, 9, and 1 aren't mentioned.

I don't know much about chips. Do the cameras they cite use different chips or are they reserving the chips they can get for their other cameras?

Thank you for your continued patronage of Sony products.

Currently, with regard to digital imaging products, parts procurement is delayed due to the effects of global semiconductor shortages. This has affected the production of some products and may take some time to deliver. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused to customers who are looking forward to the product.

We will do our utmost to deliver the product as soon as possible, and we appreciate your understanding.

[Main products that take time to deliver] Digital SLR cameras: α7S III / α7 II series / α6400 series / α6100 series / ZV-E10 series
Digital single-lens camera interchangeable lens: SEL20F18G / SEL50F18F / SEL50M28 / SELP18105 etc.
Professional camcorder: PXW-Z190

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/son...00-zv-e10-due-to-the-worldwide-chip-shortage/

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
There are differences from both generation to generation, and between models in the same generation. Some parts may be the same. But even if they all had the very same parts, a manufacturer is going to allocate a limited supply to the most current and likely better-selling models first.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
There are differences from both generation to generation, and between models in the same generation. Some parts may be the same. But even if they all had the very same parts, a manufacturer is going to allocate a limited supply to the most current and likely better-selling models first.
That's the assumption on my end, but chips can be programmed. Do we know if these chips are physically different or is it just in the way their programmed? If they're physically different I would think suspect they've asked the chip manufacturers to focus on specific models. If you can only make me "X" number of chips, make these models. A bit surprised the S III is in that lot, though.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Not all chips are programmable, and there are definitely physically different chips between models. I believe the A7Siii and the A1 share the newer Bionz XR image processor, and probably other parts as well. My guess would be they go to the A1 first - flagship, higher demand, perhaps better margins, etc.

Latest threads

Top Bottom