1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by CatherineEGraham, Aug 14, 2014.

1. CatherineEGraham

CatherineEGraham New to TalkEmount

Aug 14, 2014
    Sony Alpha NEX-5 Digital Camera Is it worth buying

[​IMG]

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It's now an older model. But if the price is right...

3. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Well, it depends if your talking about the NEX 5, or the NEX 5R or T. The 2 latter are definitely worth buying. The 5T is the latest model, good image quality and some dials to manual control missing on the NEX 5, you won't be disappointed, especially as the prices are falling down right now. Concerning the NEX 5, it is pretty old now so you better get interesting price on it.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    You're asking a forum dedicated to the NEX line if the 5 is worth buying. Of course it is.

As mentioned, there are quite a few models that have carried that name, you need to be a bit more specific.

5. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I am still loving my Nex 5R, and actually I think there is no camera out there that is better without also being bigger.

Well, the 5T obviously but that is basically the same thing. The A5000 is really not as good!

That said, I have the viewfinder attachment, and if you buy that too it's often cheaper to get a Nex 6.

6. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I believe the first gen NEX 5 is 14MP, any 5 series starting from 5N are 16MP or more. The performance difference between the two types of sensor is very big. In fact, the sensor in 5N/5R/5T are basically the same as the one in NEX 6.

I still regularly use my two 5N's.

I'd say 5N/5R/5T are all well worth buying.

7. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    Personally I think any of the NEX cameras are worth buying as long as the price is right and they are in good condition. I was able to pick my original NEX for $80 with the kit lens. I am having an absolute blast with it. Yes I plan on getting the the N or some of the other bodies. I was abl to start using lnss that I have not used in years that was just gathering dust in a closest and were going to sol t a garage sale one day

8. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    The nex5T had the same sensor as the NEX6 I'm currently using. Its a pretty good cam thats available at almost throwaway prices. Check out flickr to see what the cam is capable of.

Plus you have apps, touchscreen etc in a very very compact body

9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I have been using the NEX-5 until late last year, and still keep it as a backup. I have to say it's still an awesome camera, and it easily served me for tens of thousands of photos. If you want to enter the world of interchangeable lens cameras, and the price is very cheap (less than €250 with kit lens), I'd say it is worth it. For a higher price, though, a newer NEX model would serve you better. Especially low light performance and AF performance are quite a bit better on new models.

10. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    :Welcome: Catherine!

With the announcement of the A5100 coming...the NEX 5T would be a wise choice right now.
    Maybe look into open box items and/or refurbished units.

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    If you're refferring to the 1st gen Nex-5 (not 5N, 5R, 5T etc) my opinion is that's IT'S NOT worth buying it :)

12. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Hey, I love my 5! ;)

For the right price it would be, probably very cheap! $100-150 depending on if it came with a lens or not...?

13. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I just took a quick look on KEH, their BGN NEX 5 is $133, and BGN NEX 5N is $182. Between the two I'd definitely get the 5N.