Sony Alpha 3000 saved photos in strange format

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Steve Smejkal, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Steve Smejkal

Steve Smejkal New to TalkEmount

May 3, 2016
    Steve Smejkal
    My Sony Alpha 3000 saved a bunch of photos in a strange format. The camera and Photoshop
    list the jpeg files, but they are unable to show it. Not sure what caused the data files to become unreadable, but I'd like to save the photos if possible. Is there a program that can try to read corrupted jpeg files, and if so can you post a link? Without knowing all the information, what would be the more likely culprit to the corrupted files? The camera or in the SD card?

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I assume you're stating the files aren't viewable within the camera either?
    If they could be read within the camera, then I'd suggest try downloading them to your computer via USB cable.

If the files aren't readable anywhere, then I think you're SOL, as I'm personally unaware of a way to recover jpegs if corrupted. The compression varies, and depending on the options, coding is progressive, and/or optimized to reduce file size. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Have you tried another card? It sounds like a defective SD card.

3. Steve Smejkal

Steve Smejkal New to TalkEmount

May 3, 2016
    Steve Smejkal

I should have known better than to buy cheap SD cards off e-bay. There is a reason they are so cheap.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The problem with the ebay SD cards from China is that there are a lot of counterfeit/fake cards that look like the real ones. Just like all the fake Li-Ion batteries that has become an epidemic, the SD cards may be rated at high speed but actually aren't. But far worse, there are cards falsely claiming high capacity when it fact are low capacity with a controller hack. Imagine buying a 64 GB Samsung card, to discover it's only 4 or 8 GB!
    Samsung cards were only one of the reported brands being counterfeited.

Best to try testing against a known good SD card. If it can read and write in camera and computer, it eliminates them as fault. Then take the suspect card and write and read it to capacity with the computer. Verify it's the claimed capacity, and that the files are not corrupting. There are apps that do backups that write and verify, in order to automate this process.