1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A7S to be announced this Sunday - with 12 mp sensor?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by Armanius, Apr 4, 2014.

1. timvanvliet

timvanvliet New to TalkEmount

Mar 22, 2014
    Yeah probably awesome low iso and 4k video and fast af. Great for video,sports and street photos less good for landscape portrait and shots were you want loads of detail.
    Seems sony wants one system with several speciality cameras. We try all of them and in time there will be one body that has it all in the top line probably somewhere end next year. .........I think.:D

2. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am buying it... I love that someone finally though to not run the megapixel race!!!
    what about our native e mount lenses I was using with my nex-f3????

Alex

• Like Like x 1
  3. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    If they put a 4:2:2 codec on there it might just be my perfect camera to accompany my NEX-7...

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't get it :confused: Why would Sony lower the MP?
    sarcasm mode on Is this a camera for stills or a camcorder??? sarcasm mode off

I understand Sony trying innovations and doing stuff different from the competition but this time I don't understand Sony at all...

5. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    • Like Like x 2
  6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Interesting, 270 comments, so it gets the attention... I guess they make different versions for different people, one for landcapes, one for semi-action, and now one for 4K video. If you combine 3 versions into one, it makes a decent camera...

7. yakky

yakky TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    I'm intrigued. Lets get some new lenses coming too.

8. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I was hoping 'S' would mean sports as that would mean Sony were planning a lens longer than 200mm at some point. If it's just a 4K-oriented FF camera though, it doesn't sound like that's going to happen :(

9. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    It's direct competition for the Panasonic GH4, and would produce superior video quality if given a decent codec. The A7S would have full frame and 100% pixel coverage for 4K video in 16:9, whereas the GH4 is Micro 4/3 and has a higher resolution sensor which causes moire. (I think that's all right.)
    I think it's a brilliant move. Sony would really hit it out of the park for filmmakers if this is all true and priced correctly. It's a shame I'd need to keep my NEX-7 for photos, but the A7S as it is will be (hopefully) fantastic.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Ah Nikon with their 12mp D700/D3s and 16mp D4/D4S/Df (Interesting to note that these bodies do NOT have Sony sensors..)
    But I get your point......:)

11. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Well, the announced FE 28-135mm zoom has my interest.

12. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    My interest as well.... BUT - I'm still waiting on the specs for the "s". I tried the Sony "news" site given out in the conference, but - no joy...

John

13. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Clearly aimed to be a cheap alternative to shoot 4k video with an external recorder. Even if you use one of the cheaper Blackmagic ones, it'll be a heck of a lot of money for most of us, although probably cheap compared to the competition. Will be interesting if they can beat the price of the Blackmagic Design Production Camera, which shoots 4k for €3k. I doubt it, however.

As a stills camera - seems to be only a valid option for those who want or need the absolutely best high ISO sensitivity.

The lens, btw., looks like a serious cinematography lens, thous it will be mighty expensive. I guess it'll be between €10k - €20k.

14. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    ISO 4 million!?!?

15. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No, just the 400k which is standard by now.

16. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Thanks Serhan, I am very pleased with my A7 and see no need to make a change in this regard. Still, good to see more innovation from Sony. It is clearly aimed at those interested in video and if the 28-135mm is also aimed for that segment then I hope they consider a quality still orientated zoom of that range as it would be on my purchase list.

18. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    May be I am biased and uninformed because I don't do any video.

With the announcement of A7s, there is now a full frame mirrorless camera for videographers. With the requirement of an external 4K recorder the target consumers still seems like a niche market. 12MP is surely intriguing but I wish they made the camera more "photographer-friendly" with inclusion of PDAF/A6000 AF capabilities.

I love the A7 and would have preferred to hear more details about the UWA zoom, 85mm, and other upcoming lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  19. husahin

husahin New to TalkEmount

Apr 2, 2014
    I hate sony since they still introduce new bodies instead of lenses. Hey Sony, we need lenses at first not bodies !!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1