Sony A7RIV Write speeds

robfactory

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Rob
Hi everyone,
I wanted to know if you guys knew the write speed of the Sony A7IV. I've been looking for this info, but I can't find it.
I don't want to spend too much on an SD card if the camera cannot write at those speeds.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hi everyone,
I wanted to know if you guys knew the write speed of the Sony A7IV. I've been looking for this info, but I can't find it.
I don't want to spend too much on an SD card if the camera cannot write at those speeds.
Not sure, but I believe Sony Tough SD cards seem to review favorably. Saying that, I just went midrange and picked up Transcend UHS-II cards that seem to rate in the upper tier ratings.

robfactory

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Rob
Not sure, but I believe Sony Tough SD cards seem to review favorably. Saying that, I just went midrange and picked up Transcend UHS-II cards that seem to rate in the upper tier ratings.
I was looking to pick up some 128gb cards, but picking up 2 is expensive. So I was looking at an alternative that gave me speeds, but not the heavy price.

SamSS

TalkEmount Veteran
Tested myself on a z87 motherboard. Bought two, decent price and good enough for my 7R3
Kingston MobileLite G4 card reader was used for benching.
Transcend 64GB SDXC UHS-II SD 700S
Transcend 64GB SDXC UHS-II SD 700S Crystal z87.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Xterra

TalkEmount Regular
Can you post or link the reviews / rating please, I'm curious. Thanks

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Perhaps it has to do with compatibility with existing cameras (impacting customers with multiple bodies), and/or cost to implement it in a camera. Not to mention the 3-4x cost of the media itself.

If existing SD cards can meet the need and users are satisfied, ask yourself the reverse - why should they switch?

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Perhaps it has to do with compatibility with existing cameras (impacting customers with multiple bodies), and/or cost to implement it in a camera. Not to mention the 3-4x cost of the media itself.

If existing SD cards can meet the need and users are satisfied, ask yourself the reverse - why should they switch?
If you compare XQD card prices, they're on par if not slightly cheaper than similar sized UHS-II cards. Performance-wise XQD is superior in every way. On top of that XQD is a Sony media format, so it's odd they're sticking with SD as opposed to using cards they almost exclusively manufacture.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
XQD has been superceded already speed wise. CFExpress using NVME, is much faster. Thus, Sony has no reason to implement it into future products. It's the new MemoryStick. ;)
There will probably be another standard of SD card that will use NVME in the horizon. :p

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
If you compare XQD card prices, they're on par if not slightly cheaper than similar sized UHS-II cards. Performance-wise XQD is superior in every way. On top of that XQD is a Sony media format, so it's odd they're sticking with SD as opposed to using cards they almost exclusively manufacture.
I did compare prices, and just looked again. Could be my searching is poor, and 3-4x was way off, more like 2X. e.g. I can find lots of brand name 64G UHS-II cards well under $100. XQD started at $140.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I did compare prices, and just looked again. Could be my searching is poor, and 3-4x was way off, more like 2X. e.g. I can find lots of brand name 64G UHS-II cards well under $100. XQD started at $140.
Just looking at B&H's website, a 64GB Sony XQD is $134 USD and a 64GB Sony Tough UHS-II SD card is $109. The Sony XQD card is not much more, considering it has vastly faster read/write speeds and far better build quality compared to the Tough SD card. Also if you have money to spend on an A7R4 or A9, you can spend a few extra bucks for the fastest media available.

My issue with Nikon using XQD in the Z bodies has more to do with the fact they didn't expand on the buffer to take full advantage of format which results in buffering out way too early. My issue with Sony is despite having a deep buffer in their cameras, is that they're not using the fastest storage medium available, especially on their top-tier cameras.

XQD has been superceded already speed wise. CFExpress using NVME, is much faster. Thus, Sony has no reason to implement it into future products. It's the new MemoryStick. ;)
There will probably be another standard of SD card that will use NVME in the horizon. :p
XQD and CF Express Type B uses the same physical format and dimensions! XQD lives on unlike the MemoryStick! :laugh:

robfactory

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Rob
The thing about XQD is that it is not used in all cameras. Not to mention that my laptop doesn't have an XQD reader. I've been shooting with MicroSD cards for the last 4 years and they have worked great until now. The Sony A7RIV is too much of a beast for the write speeds on these.
I decided to go with the Toshiba cards. They are only 10mb less in write speeds than the Sony at a small fraction of the cost here where I live.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom