1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony a7rii + nikon speed light

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Simon007, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Simon007

Simon007 New to TalkEmount

Dec 20, 2015
    Hi Group, just moved over from nikon to sony and wondered if i could use my nikon speed light with my a7rii ? if not, which flash would you recommend?
    thanks in advance :)

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    As long as its a modern flash it should work but you will have to use it in full manual no ttl etc. If its a legacy flash make sure you know its voltage as some used high voltage and can damage your gear.

3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I use an old SB26 with my A6000 and off camera with triggers bought for nikon. Works fine in manual mode.

4. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    I have old SB-800 which works in its auto mode perfectly on A7ii. It has its own sensor to measure light.

Anyway, the best thing is to sell it and get something Sony TTL compatible. For example Nissin i40. I am just looking reviews for it and seems promising. Small and powerful.

Tapatalk

5. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I'm so torn between the nissin i40 and the Di700a +air 1. Both about the same price, love the size of the i40 but the other is wireless and leave room to grow with adding flashes etc later on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Chris, I went through the same thing a few months back, and I'm glad I got the Di700 + Air Commander. Although I think the flash head guide number (power) is slightly over rated. No big deal - I just dial in positive flash compensation.

The one real weakness is that the shoe is plastic on both the Air Commander and flash unit. In fact the corner of the hotshoe of the former actually chipped when it fell from a height of no more than 2 ft. I wrote to Nissin about it but have had no reply whatsoever.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris

Thanks for the info. I've heard the build quality isn't the best but I still think they are the way to go. I'll probably end up buying the di700a + air soon enough, either that or a dedicated macro flash.

8. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    This looks like good example of the potential answer to your question. The SB800 has been a workhorse for years and very likely has the basics of many of the Nikon SB line. I am hoping that my newer SB700 will work, but I have not tried it (and don't use a lot of flash anyway).

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Simon007

Simon007 New to TalkEmount

Dec 20, 2015
    Thanks for all your advice guys, great help :)