Sony A7rII Firmware 2.0 - Anyone updated yet?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by MAubrey, Oct 19, 2015.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I saw there was a bug on SAR, something about it shifting from 42 to 18mp

3. MAubrey

The firmware turns "APS-C crop to 'On'" if its set to "Auto." But you just need to go into the menus and change it back. No harm done, it's just annoying.

4. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Bit disappointing that they don't offer it to a7ii users....
    It doesn't make the a7ii any worse a camera than before but still, it's a relatively recent camera so it would be nice to have had the option!

5. MAubrey

According to DPreview, if I remember correctly, the A7rII is simply being updated first. They have said that they're working on other cameras, but they hadn't said which will get it yet or which order.

6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  7. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I installed it because I want the ability to use the remote control camera app and also hdmi out at the same time. I also think they have improved start up time but this might be a figment of my imagination.

8. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    One of the guys on a dk photoforum reported that neither c1e nor dxo optics pro can read his raw files after the upgrade. Any comments on that?

9. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    I updated last night. I have taken two photos since. One compressed one uncompressed. Both imported into Lightroom as normal.

Then I took them into PS and added a really absurdly high contrast levels adjustment - with identical settings to each file. The results are below:-

Certainly not scientific however there is more background information in the uncompressed file on the right for sure. I think this means luminosity blending will be better with the new uncompressed files - especially when adding curves and levels to over or underexposed parts of the images.

All of the images are on my site at: http://www.jeffmurrayimaging.com/Camera-Test/i-q59sgHP They are available for download as well.

A7Rii compressed uncompressed comparison.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. MAubrey

Thanks for this Jeff! That's excellent!

• Like Like x 1
  11. ChronoBodi

ChronoBodi TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    So let me get this straight... the compressed RAW's background is blown out, but only in absurd contrast mode, whereas the uncompressed RAW in absurd contrast mode clearly is not blown out.

However, the difference is a lot, lot harder to tell in the regular image, and I can see why Sony went with this compression method: Only a few extreme cases will show the artifacts from compression, and it is all good that we have uncompressed options. However, you pretty much give up half your storage space for this, for differences that may matter to a few, but otherwise imperceptible to 95% of photographers IMO.

12. MAubrey

There are times when it'll be worth turning one. DPreview had a discussion of when artifacts appear in transitions between super dark and super bright areas. So if you're shooting a concert or any kind of evening/night photography, it'll improve things.

13. Neftun

Neftun New to TalkEmount

Apr 24, 2015
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I'll say the difference is there for many shots I make; landscapes and familyportraits in high-contrast settings. It may be a few percent difference only, but for my shots, I'd want those extra pieces of info. Hope my a7ii gets that option soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    No one?

15. MAubrey

Sorry. I use Lightroom...

16. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Capture One was updated yesterday - to a version that now supports the uncompressed files.

17. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Pro version?

18. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    I believe so - I haven't updated mine yet - maybe tonight - after playing with the new Playmemories and Smart Remote.