1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A7RII DxOmarked - highest score yet

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

3. MAubrey

• Like Like x 2
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  5. MAubrey

The difference between 13.9 and 14.2 is little more than statistical variation and part of the sensor lottery (which is just another form of the silicon lottery: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1753815/silicon-lottery.html).

If you look at the variation between all of the Olympus 16MP sensor cameras, you'll see a much larger spread of variation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    SNR differences look to be very modest, and it's clear that Sony is cooking the RAWs to achieve the results at the highest ISOs (otherwise the curve wouldn't change directions like that):

snr.

8. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Hi Amin,

It's widely believed that Sony are using the same Aptiva patented technology to adjust the gain on higher ISO's...
    http://blog.kasson.com/?p=11135
    I've no doubt there is *some* cooking going on, but the aptiva technology has a lot to do with it's remarkably high scores too.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Even better! :)

10. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Whenever Sony introduced pdf sensors on the sensor, dynamic range/noise scores got a small cut, most probably due to inefficiency comes from those missing sensor light inception points... It looks like noise is not issue any more but the dynamic range still has some loss. Interestingly A7 vs A7II difference is 0.6 stop loss in dynamic range, so Sony maybe is optimizing the sensor more for noise ctrl/better color then dynamic range or better high ISO dynamic range as Amin showed:
    http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp...-Sony-A7R-II-versus-Sony-A7-II___916_1035_996

• Like Like x 2
  11. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Except that the A7 and A7II have the same number of phase detection points. They in fact use the same sensor and CPU just different software and CFA (is my understanding—Bionz X in both of them). What's surprising is switching to the "screen" measurements and seeing how, on a pixel level, there isn't really a change between the A7 and A7RII. I find that a little hard to believe given the RAW files I've played. On the other hand almost doubling the pixels and keeping the per pixel performance the same is an accomplishment. I still can't help but wonder what would be the results if Sony put all the A7RII sensor tech into a 24MP sensor instead.