Sony A7R with Olympus M. Zuiko 25mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by robfactory, Mar 17, 2015.

1. robfactory

robfactory TalkEmount Regular

Aug 23, 2014
    Rob
    Hi, Does anyone know how to control the aperture on this lens?
    It doesn't have an aperture ring and I don't know if the adapter has one either.
    Help would be appreciated.

2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Hi Rob, there's no way to use a micro four thirds lens on a Sony camera and still have access to aperture, much less auto focus. While there are μ43 to e-mount adapters, they're really only useful for the fully mechanical lenses like the Voigtlanders. Even then you don't have full image circle coverage--even on APS-C. I'd expect with an A7r, you'll be getting a lot of black with a small circle of image in the middle of the frame.

3. robfactory

Aug 23, 2014
    Rob
    I know it all has to shift to a manual use. I'm ok with that. However, the 17mm came with an aperture ring/focus ring. I can focus the lens manually, but wanted to access the aperture.

4. MAubrey

Have you actually tried the focusing ring on an e-mount body. As far as I am aware, even though the focusing ring is there, it isn't at all mechanical; it's a focal by wire focusing ring. If it doesn't have power from the mount, it won't do anything. Same goes with the aperture.

5. robfactory

Aug 23, 2014
    Rob
    I should get the adapter on Thursday and will try it out. If not, I'm going to have to send it to get fixed and resell it.

6. MAubrey

I hope it works out for you...