1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A7r with Leica Summicron 50mm f2

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by jedilost1, Oct 1, 2014.

1. jedilost1

jedilost1 TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    Hi everybody!

New user and a long time photography enthusiast

Tomorrow I will be getting an A7r with m mount adapter that I plan to use with my Summicron 50mm.

I've heard this is a great set up

Has anyone ever had experience with the A7 series of cameras and its focus peaking?

I'm excited to get started but I hear it's poor in low light

I'd love to hear thoughts

2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Don't have an A7, but I think it's the same as NEX series cameras.

I would say if you have enough light and a lens bright enough to take a decent picture then you have enough for focus peaking.

To get something in focus at F2, you will need a bit of practice. Just because you see focus peaking highlights doesn't necessarily mean the focus is nailed. A high contrast line will be highlighted just before and after it reaches critical focus, sometimes you need to punch in and magnify to get precision.

My advice would be, turn the peaking down to the lowest level possible. And make sure you have a programmable key set to punch in and magnify, so you can get to it quickly.

3. jedilost1

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the advice jai, I thought focus peaking would assist in manual focusing. You're saying I should lower it and use magnification instead?

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Welcome! It should be a good combo...

Focus peaking is very nice, but sometimes it is not the most accurate. It is also lens dependent, aperture, etc. I didn't find the light as a problem. It is good that you can adjust the peaking levels (High, Med, Low) in A7R per given conditions. It gives you the dof eg your exact focus might be off a few mm/cm/inches esp with people/pets. The best method is magnifying with peaking. I see some people are also using the oversharpened jpgs to figure the af without peaking. I guess the best way is practice and find what works best for you... Enjoy!

5. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Actually, no not instead. Focus peaking works when you magnify too, really well actually.

If you are shooting at something a decent distance away, or at smaller apertures, you can easily use focus peaking and it can be as quick and more pleasant to use than autofocus.

If you want to really nail focus, so only someone's eye is in focus for example, then you need to use a combination of magnification and peaking.

Oh and the lower setting just means there is a higher threshold for contrast before an area shows up highlighted. So you see less dots, which is good. That makes it more precise.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jedilost1

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    Thank you for clarifying! Do you use an NEX body?

7. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah I use a NEX 5R with a viewfinder attachment, which is the same as the NEX 7's and appears to be basically the same as the A7's I have played with.

8. jedilost1

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    Took my A7r/Summicron combo out again today loving the performance although it is very hard to be discreet

5b1938f06614a0ca20fa7d34e11c7024.

3d0d0739774b46b1d4362ade9988a029.

d151213b4d421511f897669f0bb66d45.

332e9ecc8d96a4f2d60872dfb86d2934.

2af6c79413b390d054c4a2de10728b9b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3