1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony a7r shutter shake

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by jedilost1, Oct 3, 2014.

1. jedilost1

jedilost1 TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    I've heard it mentioned here and there but haven't seen a thread dedicated to it

I recently purchased an A7r and plan to use mostly manual focus lenses on it.

Should I be concerned with shutter shake when handheld? I hear that it's not a problem if your shutter is above 200

Can anyone confirm this, or give their experience?

Much appreciated

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Don't have an A7/R personally, but I don't recall hearing/reading anything about "shutter shake"...

3. jedilost1

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    Do a quick google search you'll read all about it, it's also mentioned in almost every video review

• Like Like x 1
  4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I have not noticed in my hand held shooting. It might be a problem on tripods since the camera is very light, eg they showed you can add weight to prevent it. One report was showing that the shutter vibr is similar to mirror slapping with dslrs, eg not a concern for me...

I didn't notice that my camera ISO was at 50 and I shot this in the morning at 1/13sec hand held with Contax g 90mm 2.8:
    original.

Not all of them were sharp at that speed but usually I don't have problems at normal 1/focal length rule for photos...

90mm at 1/60sec (which is the min shutter speed at A with manual lenses so you need to switch S or M mode to increase shutter speed with longer focal lengths)
    original.

100mm at 1/100sec
    original.

• Like Like x 3
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    This is where having stabilization in the lens versus the body is gonna be an issue.

If you plan on taking a lot of videos, I would get a lens with stabilization.

6. jedilost1

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    Do you think it would be an issue with moving subjects? I love that last cat shot. Was that manual or auto focused?

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks. Cat shot was manual focus w/ Canon 100mm EF f2. It has af with the Metabones adapter but af is slow, so I used mf. At least the camera picked up the right shutter speed:) It is not the best for mf'ing compared to older/rf/macro lenses which are made for mf...

With moving subjects, I would be more concerned about hitting the focus right. Also anything under 1/200sec might have a motion blur with moving subjects...

• Like Like x 1
  8. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    You need more than 1/focal length to get reliably sharp shots in my experience, due to the pixel density, but I have not personally had any shots affected significantly by shutter shock.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

9. bwana4swahili

bwana4swahili New to TalkEmount

May 26, 2014
    I've found image stabilization gets really messed up with the A7R and normally turn it off. I'm using Canon (or Canon mount) lens on both the A7R and A7S. Image stabilization and the A7R don't particularly like each other...

10. jedilost1

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    It performs better on the A7s than the A7r? I really am thinking of moving to the A7, it seems to be the more practical choice for what I plan on using the camera for

11. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    My reason to get the R over the plain old A7 was simply resolution. It is my landscape camera, and I wanted something to differentiate it more from the E-M1. I also wanted to be able to print huge (I enjoy 2 meter/80 inch wide panos - running out of wall space so may have to start rotating them). Otherwise I would have gone for the A7. I mean, it's not like the megapixel count on that is particularly low...

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

12. jedilost1

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
  13. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    back in the day, one of the reasons that I purchased a Canon FTb was
    that it had "mirror lock-up" and I always used it for macro shots!!

• Like Like x 1