1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A7R remote control distance/range

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by yoftby, Dec 28, 2014.

1. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    I've not yet bought on A7R. What kind of distance have users been able to reliably achieve between camera and device (Android smartphone/tablet or pc), either wirelessly/wifi or by cable?

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I don't use any remote ctrls w/ A7r but it has wifi connection.

3. sdsyver

sdsyver Here to Learn and Enjoy!

Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    I've used my iPhone as a trigger from 10-15m. Nice because you can see the picture before you hit the button.

4. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks, sdsyver. Anyone reliably beating that? Line of site only?

5. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    The connection for the tablet/phone link is a wifi connection from the camera, so not line of sight.

6. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks, MizOre. Noted. I was wondering whether users found halls etc. made much of a difference to range.

7. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    ...that should read 'walls' not 'halls'.

8. nikono

nikono TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 28, 2014
    I have not done it but if I need to, I may extend the wifi range with
    1. Wifi extender ($20) that is USB powered.
    2. Power the extender with a small portable rechargeable USB 5000mAh battery pack.
    3. Place them half way where people can't see to take them.

Before the wifi was available on newer cameras, the Sony wired remote could be modded to be used with the old but popular wireless remote as well as intervalometer. The maximum operational range was 100m. Modification could also be done to "relay" the control signals to extend the range. The mod as shown in the following picture was for still image shooting only.
    167lg1t.

9. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks, Nikono. That's clearly worth investigating. l really need to be able to monitor what the camera is seeing (on top of a mast with a pan and tilt head) with a tablet or smartphone. Some of the kit that you hint at looks promising.

PS Camranger seems well established with Nikon and Canon cameras. But CASE Remote is one I've come across in recent days. CASE hope to add Sony (to the current list of supported Nikon and Canon cameras) in mid/late 2015.

10. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    I used it at 10m two nights ago. At 15m it loses connection and it was also intermittently dropping out at 10m. It needs to be remembered its a wireless connection powered by batteries at each end - not a full blown Access Point on mains power. Also the camera batteries send a lot of power to the rear LCD.

For a longer distance Liveview remote I once owned a Hahnel Inspire (although sadly not supported on SONY just yet): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...age:IN+STOCK?gclid=CPnK0fyKhsMCFZYAvAod1x0AcA

You can safely trigger your DSLR, and view and save the results (up to 99 images) from your control post up to 196' away from your camera. It runs on 8 x AA batteries - hence the stronger wireless signal.

11. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks, jeffmurray. It seems clear, for now anyway, that I won't be able to get adequate remote range on the Sony a7r (for my needs) using a smartphone or tablet. Canon and Nikon still have the lead in this. I'm sure it will change.

12. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Tareq
    I just simply have this remote which i use for Canon, but i bought a proper cable to use for my Sony A7R, and honestly speaking, i never test it for very long range, i just tested for shorter distances such as 3-5m and it worked fine, but i don't shoot anything yet that require me to go very far longer than 5m, but this remote is working like a charm.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749292-REG/Vello_RCW_C2_Wireless_ShutterBoss_Timer_Remote.html

I am looking for to buy another Intervalometer just as backup, so i can put one for my Canon and another one for Sony and Hasselblad H series, and there are plenty on eBay for intervalometer and i already have cables for all cameras and bought one more for each system as backup, cheap cables.

Good luck!!!

13. yoftby

yoftby TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2014
    Thank you, TareqPhoto. I need something that will enable me to monitor the camera's view on a tablet or smartphone, such as http://camranger.com/ (which seems currently to be the market leader, but only works on some Canon and Nikon models) or https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/case-remote-free-your-camera-free-your-idea (who are aiming to be Sony-compatible by mid to late 2015).