1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A7r in Studio Work

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by jedilost1, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jedilost1

jedilost1 TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    I'm planning on taking my A7r into studio very soon and was wondering if anyone had any tips

I'd love to see some examples as well [emoji4]

Also, would A mount glass do well for studio photography on the A7r?

Has anyone used legacy glass in studio and used manual focus?

Thanks for any recommendations/suggestionz

2. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Haha thanks Christian

The A7 and A7r is fabulous for studio work. Great image quality, small and light so you can shoot all day, and high quality lens options. Two issues that i've run into.

1) In very low light, AF may be an issue some of the time. I shot in a blacked out studio with minimal ambient lighting because I was going for the harsh flash look and the A7 had some trouble locking on. It was no big deal though, it happened only sparingly and I got great shots

2) EVF will be dark if you set your ISO to 50-100 and shoot in the dark. Whereas ISO settings doesn't really affect an optical view finder, if you are in a dark studio and you insist on using low ISOs because you will be relying on studio strobes, as I did, your EVF will go dark (pitch black sometimes) when you half-press the shutter to autofocus. This makes composition a pain in the ass. I have to keep my left eye open. I wish there was a way to set it so that the EVF is not linked to the ISO.

I've used the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 and a manual focus Leica 35mm f/2.8. Both works great. I shoot fast so AF is easier, but MF on the Sony A7 is super easy. Just that if you're not used to manual focusing and take too long, the model may appear a bit stiff.

bwdsc02099-2.

What kind of look are you going for? Check out our recent article on working with professional models

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jedilost1

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    Dude thanks so much for the reply, I'm going for more upper body portraits in black and white with some shadow. Similar to the image you posted

I see you mentioned having an A7, do you think it would be the same as with the A7r?

Attached Files:

5. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    From what I've read, the A7 and the A7R should be really similar in terms of handling. However, A7r does lack phase type af sensors since it doesn't have an anti-aliasing filter.

With your setup, I suggest turning up the brightness to the modeling light if you are using studio strobes. AF should be no issue. I was just shooting in ridiculously low light.

EVF blackout at low iso, I think that's unavoidable. So just be flexible. It's no big deal. You can always recompose in post.

6. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    Go to Live View Display - Settings Effect, turn it off. You should be able to see and compose in the dark.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Aww yea, that's awesome! Thanks man!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

8. jedilost1

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    That's how I had used it before, helps a bunch!