Sony A7R III, FE 2.8/400, FE 4/24-105

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by addieleman, Oct 25, 2017.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Officially announced: New Sony A7rIII, 24-105mm and 400mm FE lenses! - sonyalpharumors

Now there's a surprise. Not so much about the lenses, they were expected to come. The 4/24-105 weighs only 663 g, fairly long though at 113mm. It's a G lens so pricing may not be out of this world Edit: $1.298. The 2.8/400 will be welcomed too, I guess.

I'm very happy to see that Sony maintained the A7R2's form factor, but the battery is the bigger one from the A9. Dang, that means it doesn't use the same grip as the one for the Mark II cameras. I'd probably have to add an RRS L-plate as well. Oh well, doesn't make much difference on the total cost. Which apparently is $3200 according to dpreview, less than I'd have expected.

On quick specs review I don't feel an immediate need want to upgrade from the A7R2 (sigh of relief). To me it looks like a nice evolutionary update of an already capable camera with as main highlights AF joystick (yowza!), dual card slots (meh), bigger battery (meh), better AF (always good), 14-bits raw in all drive modes (yay). Probably no losslessly compressed raws :coco:. The multi-shot resolution mode looks like a half-baked attempt. YMMV. I'll just read up on it, plenty of previews to come :).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Excited when I read the news of the A7Riii. And the improvements to the autofocus, battery life, etc is a welcomed step forward. But I think I'll stick to my Mark II for a while. I mostly shoot landscapes and slow moving things :).

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    No gps :026:

Does a bigger battery and dual slots make it a "pro" camera now?

It's a worthy refresh to an already good camera, but I vowed that I'd keep my r2 for at least three years, so that's what I'm doing.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No, no, no! You A7RII owners are supposed to unload them for a song now, so I can afford to buy a good used one. Come on! You know you want that III! ;)

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I have no doubt that there will be a lot of used r2's on eBay!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Oooh, tempted.... I like my megapixels :) Never had any inclination for the A9 but this upgrade for the A7R series is looking good to me.... and less expensive than the A9.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Wooooot

• Like Like x 2
  8. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    Hmmm.....let's see, our 37th wedding anniversary is coming up on the first of next month...might be a good time to get myself a present.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Where’s the A7iii for us poor people? :confused-69:

:biggrin: :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I may have to get that 24-105. f/4 is plenty fast enough for that kind of lens, for my kind of shooting.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    This looks like a fantastic update.
    It actually may be a better sports, wildlife and event camera than the A9.
    Mechanical shutter if I'm not mistaken is up to 10fps vs 5fps in the A9.
    If you shoot fashion, event where you may need strobe/flash and continuous this is a big upgrade - especially finally that Sony is offering full 14bit raw in continuous.
    I wonder if Sony can offer the same 14bit raw capability to A9 owners via continuous firmware update?
    The other thing that is super interesting is the pixel shift capability.
    I had a Pentax K1 with this capability previously. While limited in use cases, the difference in output quality versus regular shot was massive and probably the closest I'll ever come near the quality of current 100mp medium format cameras!

I see a number of reviewers also mention that Sony has tweaked color profiles for skin tones with this camera. I personally prefer the A9's output to the A7rii and suspect that it is using the same color science as the A9 (a good thing).

Really there is nothing not to like about this update. It's looks to be a fantastic camera.
    My only 'gripe' is that I wish they offered the same third control dial selector for shooting drive mode as they do with the A9. Ergonomically it makes for a very useful camera.

Guess we will see an rx1riii now with IBIS ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    42mp, 10fps, and slow cards...I bet its going to be a slow buffer unlike the A9...

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    A few thoughts:
    1) I have to say, once I saw the new heavy discount on the A7Rii and A7Sii (at least here in the US) earlier this week, I began to expect an update to one or both of those cameras at today's event, rather than an A7iii as previously expected by some (rumors on SAR seem to have fluctuated b/w an A7iii or an A7Siii, but not so much an A7Riii). With the A7Rii and the A7Sii now selling around US$2400 - and I expect these discounts to either be permanent or only go back up slightly - they now provide a new tier of lower-priced options to the new A7xiii series starting today.

2) I also wouldn't be surprised to see a "surprise" announcement of either an A7iii or A7Siii next month. Plus, I actually now expect that both of those should come out of the pipeline by next Spring.

3) The configuration of the A7Riii body - button layout and ports - is right in line with what I hoped for a Mark III body: touchscreen, relocated movie button, "multi-selector" joystick, dual card slots, USB-C added, and larger Z-type battery, with all essentially borrowed from the A9 design. I'm also not surprised that the extra drive/focus mode selector dials were not added - those seem reserved for the more premium A9 line. And I think the overall body configuration for the A7Rii will set the standard for the upcoming other Mark III A7-series models. Good news.

4) I was somewhat (pleasantly) surprised to see a 24-105mm f/4 G lens released as I don't recall seeing any rumors about such a thing coming. Indeed, I am VERY pleased to see this lens released! As soon as I got my A7ii and shot an event with a rented 70-200/2.8 GM late this summer, I realized that a 24-105 would have been the perfect lens for event shooting instead - I rarely used anything over 105mm for the indoor event. And so I have thirsted for such a lens for the last few months. Alas, I've MORE than killed my camera budget for the year, so unless I get some more good paying jobs such a lens will have to wait, especially at its G-plus price of US$1300.

5) All-in-all, good announcements for the E-mount system.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    The A7R III looks nice. It comes at a fair price -- at least in terms of the competition. But it's a bit dear for me. Perhaps a lightly used A7R II. Or, given that my Sony lenses for my A7 Classic are pretty much all non-G and non-Zeiss, perhaps just finding a good deal on an A7 II is a better idea. Why waste all of that resolution?

15. Arutemu

Arutemu TalkEmount Regular

Jun 11, 2015
    Impressive and nice, but I don't see anything major that would make me want to offload my A7R II. As far as lenses go... I am keeping my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and Metabones IV. It is the best constant f/2.8 zoom for the price, even including Metabones. And the best kept secret :)) I am good... thanks :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I think I just heard my bank account drain itself. 42mp is the only thing I don't think I need, but it will give me the ability to shoot in crop mode at better than the 5n, but not quite as good as the A6000. (16mp -> 18mp -> 24mp)

The 24-105 will be much nicer than toting the 24-240. $4500 for the pair... How much for a slightly used kidney?

• Funny Funny x 7
  17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I was surprised by the A7Riii announcement. Expected the A7iii to be first, but it makes sense to roll them out top down to capture the discriminatory pricing market.
    I suspect the A7Siii to be next, and finally an A7iii for the rest of us. :D
    Although the R's specs give away the roadmap of what to expect, as Steve pointed out. Also, the pricing. Now a discounted A7Rii may be competing with a A7iii for my money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    I've got to echo others here--it looks nice, but I see little to make me want to upgrade my A7rII. Almost everything on this camera is a minor spec bump at best.

For those waiting on the A7III, my guess is that there's no A7III coming until the A7rII is discontinued (maybe 6 months to 1 yr). $2400 is the new A7rII price and it will represent Sony's upgrade from the A7II for a while. They've been doing this with the RX100 and RX10 models by releasing the new top-tier model but keeping around prior versions at discounted prices. Look at their easy math: FE cameras at $1600, $2400, and $3200 now. Just like RX100 III-V at $600, $800, and $1000. Just my speculation of course :rolleyes-20:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You don’t seem to be alone in that assessment, Arutemu. I’ve been reading lots of similar reaction online today.

20. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I do want to see examples of pixel shift at work.

• Agree Agree x 2