1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A7R II underwater with the Rokinon 12 mm Fisheye

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Phil Rudin, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2015
    Lake Park, Florida USA
    PHIL RUDIN
    A favorite among U/W photographers is the Fisheye lens option and for the Sony A7R II, I tested the ALL MANUAL Rokinon 12mm F/2.8 ED AS IF NCS Fisheye for Sony E-mount. I used this lens with the new Ikelite Sony A7R II TTL housing, the up to 2.8 inch universal gear (included with the housing along with a second up to 3.0 inches gear) for focusing the lens using focus peaking, a very short port extension and the Ikelite eight inch dome port. Prior to the dive I set aperture at F/9 and used shutter speed and ISO to control exposure. I also used two Ikelite DS 161 strobes set to TTL along with two dome defusers. I think a smaller diameter port configuration could be supported using perhaps a 140 mm dome port. The eight inch port worked across a wide range of subjects but is not ideal for very CFWA. This lens is also branded as a SamSung and perhaps others, it is quite sharp and works well out of the water for such things as astro photography.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    Since you shot it at F/9 I wonder if you could use the VM 15mm f/4.5 with a smaller dome like 120mm?

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Excellent

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. aliengrove

aliengrove TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 20, 2016
    Lancashire
    Jon Bowles
    Nice shots. The water looks very clear, was it like that or cleaned up in PP? I guess at 12mm you were pretty close to the subjects, but the water behind looks quite clear toĆ³.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2015
    Lake Park, Florida USA
    PHIL RUDIN
    All shots were taken in Cozumel Mexico where the visibility is quite good year round.

Regarding the VM 15mm F/4.5 not so good for underwater photography because of the 50cm minimum focus distance which would require a larger not smaller port.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1