Sony A7R II - sell everything for?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by tino84, Mar 3, 2018.

1. tino84

tino84 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 20, 2014
    hi,
    I have a Sony A7 that I use with a native 28mm f2 and between one-two months, a samyang 35mm 2.8, and some adapted lenses. I like the Sony very much, above all playing with MF lenses. It’s a pity TAP adapter cannot be used yet on A7.

I also have a m4/3 gear, a Panasonic gx8 with 15mm 1.7 and 42,5 1.2 panaleica, and the olympus 75mm 1.8. Also I like so much shooting with Panasonic:p 

I would live perfectly with both system as they are small and light for me. Usually I can ran with gx8 and 15mm, and A7 with a Jupiter-9 in the same bag, or vice-versa, gx8 with 42,5 and A7 with a 35mm.

Those was yesterday. Now a local shop offers an used A7R II like new for 1500€.
    I tried It today, as I didn’t know if I would trade for the weight growth, and.. damn, I like it!

I realize I don’t really need many of its improvements, I’m not interested on IBIS, af and 42mpx at all. But..

A) I could sell Panasonic 42,5 1.2, A7 and an x-t1 I have, and take it. In place of the 42,5 1.2 take the little 42,5 1.7. So I would have a low-light camera and a light m4/3 gear for general purpose.

B) I could sell ALL my gear, and buying it plus TAP adapter AND the 85mm 1.8. Same focal length as my 4/3 gear, and to replicate the 75 1.8 I could use the aps-c mode with the 85mm. One camera to rule ‘em all. So playing between FF and aps-c crop I can have in the same time a really great low-light camera AND a light gear.
    B2) the same but keeping my A7 and delaying 85mm.

C) Sell all the gear, buy A7R II and keeping Gx8 with 42,5 1.2 ( those option would cost some money, around 100€ ) but I can’t really see a true logic in it ( it’s just I like pl 42,5mm very much I think :p  )

D) Ask for the price of the A7II, hope to buy it selling xt1 and A7, and for Christmas buying TAP adapter, keeping my m4/3 gear untouched. ( also those it doesn’t seem very tempting, as the only “improvement” would be the use of the TAP. Maybe would be better asking to techart to make TAP compatible with first A7 :p  )

E) Wait for the A73, selling all gear, and buy 85mm and TAP in the future

So as icing to the cake, I could stop A7R II only until Thursday, so I have to choose fast, leave it or take it :p 

I’m very sorry for the long and boring post, but it’s so much gear, so much money in a few time that I had to reorganize my ideas.. :p 

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Christop82

Christop82 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    If you like shooting anything longer than 85mm you may want to keep a smaller kit. Telephoto FF lenses are huge. I sold all my m43 gear and bought an A7II. The ability to use electronic adapters is a big advantage over the A7.
    I also repurchased a nikon V1 kit to have a compact, telephoto option.

3. Golfhacker27

Golfhacker27 TalkEmount Regular

May 15, 2016
    You don’t actually define what the benefit of the A7iiR is (apart from a simplified set of equipment?).
    You clearly state the technical benefits (vs your A7 and other equipment) are of no interest to you.
    So perhaps you need to clarify (in your mind) what the objective is.
    I understand the new gear syndrome. I have an A7 and keep looking at the used A7iiR’s falling onto the market at great prices. But it isn’t going to bring me any real advantages, so I’ll spend the money on some trips and outings to take some photos instead.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    You should clarify what you like to shoot. I have the TAP and mainly switched to the A7II so I could use it.

5. tino84

Feb 20, 2014
    Oh well you’re right guys, sorry :p 

I had two ideas at the moment I saw the deal:

1- have one camera instead of two system, because of 18mpx aps-c mode (comparable to my gx8), a good AF for when I need it, and use of TAP

2- change my A7 to use TAP adapter for MF that I use very often., and keeping my m4/3 gear for AF

So basically I’m interested in those two specs of the A7, with the plus of the bsi sensor.

I try to shoot concerts, friends weddings and kids parties, travel I make, and some street.

PS: I had also thinked to the A7 II as upgrade to the A7, but in the local store it’s new and costs pretty the same as A7R II used.
    Well, I also know good the local seller, and I could give up the A7, the xt1 and cash, but money is always few for these things :p 

6. Christop82

Aug 24, 2017
    I would definitely consider a used A7 II right now. Big upgrade from the original and selling used for $200 or $300 more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Catmurphy

Catmurphy TalkEmount Regular

Oct 23, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Cathy Murphy
    Pardon my ignorance, but what does TAP stand for?

8. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
  9. Catmurphy

Catmurphy TalkEmount Regular

Oct 23, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Cathy Murphy
  10. tino84

Feb 20, 2014
    Well, I think I will go for it, don’t know yet if II or RII, I’ll ask for a price for the A7II. I won’t sell m4/3 gear, only xt1 and A7 plus money. It would a pity to disassemble my m4/3 kit, so will stay at home :) 

11. Christop82

Aug 24, 2017
    T
    The A7II kit just went Off sale here in the US. It was $1299, today its $1798!

12. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I really like M43, but for simplicity sake, I'm leaning at going all Sony for mirrorless. Though if you're a telephoto shooter, M43 can't be beat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Honestly, of you shoot shorter than 85mm (FF), and the size penalty is acceptable to you (and frankly if you're shooting the pro glass, it's not a massive difference), the mark III Sony's are pretty compelling.

14. Christop82

Aug 24, 2017
    Completely agree about the pro lenses. They're bigger than FF lenses. I don't get it.

15. tino84

Feb 20, 2014
    Well, I have no pro lenses, but my kit seems quite similar (even if not properly side by side)

Compact Camera Meter

• Like Like x 1
  16. tino84

Feb 20, 2014
    WEll, at the end, I take the A7R II, as it’s only 200€ more (used but like new) from the A7 II new. I called the shop and blocked it.
    Now I can search better how performs aps-c mode and choose if give away the Fuji and the Sony plus money or give away also the oly 75mm..

17. tino84

Feb 20, 2014
    Got it! It seems really well made, now I have to update firmware and go out and shoot :) 
    PS: no m4/3 gear were abandoned or ruined for this camera :p 

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. tino84

Feb 20, 2014
    Well, took some shots yesterday even if it was cloudy, some in FF and most in Aps-c mode to test it.
    Wow it’s enough I think, what a camera! Shooting in jpeg and with the zeiss 50 1.7, sharpness, details, colors..wow.. my dear PL 42,5 you have a contender now :p 

1977E5B0-26D8-411C-A5A6-9EC38D031888. 4C8584CC-7288-4824-BF7F-38D41B5B5DDE. A94C0B8A-61CE-4F8F-A70C-ACB49D5C873E.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Congrats on the new kit Tino.
    Hope you get a lot of use out of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.