Sony A7R II, A7 II Shutter Sound Comparison

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Having read the coverage provided by some bloggers of late, I was half expecting the shutter release of my new Sony A7RII to sound like an angel gently tapping on the stem of a rose. Here's how it actually sounds compared to an A7II:

If pressed to pick which sound I prefer, it would be the A7II, which has less high-pitched components. That said, they sound similar enough that I can't imagine anyone choosing between them based on the difference.

A key difference is that the A7R II also has a silent mode, which truly is silent. However, that mode limits you to 12-bit files, which diminishes your dynamic range by increasing shadow noise. It also removes an audible cue to which many of our subjects are accustomed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for the comparison... There is not much difference as you said. However I am big fan of silent shutter, no shutter shock also. I think bigger issue is the jello effect and light frequencies with silent shutter. GM5 uses faster 10 bit read out for the jello effect compared to other Pana cameras. I see the jello effect more problem with A7R II silent shutter from a few tests that I read. I don't know how dxo puts their test but gm5 looses like .5 stops of dynamic range compared to other m43 sensors...

• Like Like x 1
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Maybe I'm missing something here (wouldn't surprise me in the least), but why is there any noise at all?
    There aren't any moving mechanical parts involved, or are there?
    I will plead ignorance as to how a mirrorless camera actually works.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    The lack of shutter shock in silent mode is a definite perk. I'll probably use the silent mode for lens reviews.

5. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    OK, I just educated myself by taking the lens off my Nex-7 and firing it off.
    I didn't know there was an actual shutter running across the sensor like that.
    Duh.

6. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    So do the old shutter shock tests where they'd set the camera on a piece of foam and set it off with the self timer still offer a valid test?

7. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, it is still mechanical shutter except fixed lens cameras that use leaf shutter. Electronic shutter is usually not speedy enough which causes jello effect. Smaller sensor or smaller bit read out fastens it... You can read wiki shutter link:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_(photography)

Also I think m43 cameras and Ricoh gr uses 12bit read out from the sensor...

• Like Like x 1
  8. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I believe it is quieter. High frequency sounds don't penetrate or travel as far as lower frequency sounds (so it is more likely to disappear into the ambient) but I also agree that the A7II sounds better subjectively.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    For me it doesn't sound quiter but different :) I prefer the A7rII sound from what I hear in this video.
    Thanks for taking the time for the test Amin :thumbsup:

10. Dirtistasty2

Dirtistasty2 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Super helpful! Neither is quiet enough for quiet scenes. I wonder how the Leica Q fares...

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    There's always silent mode on the A7RII, which really is silent. The image quality difference is inapparent for most intents and purposes.

I wish the silent mode would allow you to emulate a pleasing shutter release sound like some mobile phones do. Would love to hear the "tick" of my Leica MP or the even quieter tick of my Olympus XA when in silent mode.

12. Danske

Danske TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 16, 2015
    wasnt someone warning of a drop from 14 bit to 12 bit when using the electronic shutter? I dont know if this would make any practical difference to most of us though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Fred Miranda did the list based on the manual with reference to Jim Kasson's article saying the 12 bit makes the shadows 1 stop worse. Fred said "Silent Shooting-I would turn this mode OFF for critical work".

I looked at the dxo results for ricoh gr (12 bit) vs nikon A (14 bit) and Nikon is 0.3 stops higher for same 16MP Sony sensor but usually Nikon gets it higher then Sony for the same sensor too which is in the margin of error category for me...

Here is a photo (2 years ago) that I manage to take it due to e-shutter of RX1 which has a leaf shutter, no evf/ibis, etc. 35mm f/8 1/15sec ISO 12800 hand held looking at the lcd:
    original.
    With A7 II/A7R II IBIS, this should not be an issue, but again it shows the effectiveness of the e-shutter. I took one shot at f/2 too, but the dof was too narrow...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015