1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony A7R firmware 1.10 IQ comparison

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by tbyork2014, Nov 4, 2014.

1. tbyork2014

tbyork2014 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Hi,
    I've just posted my comparison of IQ of the JPEG engine of the Sony A7R firmware (1.01, 1.02 and 1.10). I've included my thoughts on whether there is a perceivable improvement in IQ but you can decide for yourself. I was already impressed with the startup time improvement, but the jump from 1.02 to 1.10 does reflect a lot of work Sony have put into their latest firmware.
    http://myphotojourney.co.uk/sony-a7r-iq-comparison-of-firmware/
    Boon
    www.myphotojourney.co.uk

• Like Like x 6
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks for keeping tabs on this! I had not thought to take a second look at my JPEGs but now I will certainly have another look. To be honest, I was already pretty happy with A7's Low NR ISO 6,400 so anything better will just be a bonus :)

3. jedilost1

jedilost1 TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    i was hoping for a huge performance improvement and in image quality after the upgrade :)

Haven't fully tested out on the field but i will soon

4. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    thx very much for posting that, i think that you proved your point.

the comparisons were difficult to judge, because it looked like they were exposed differently, but the higher iso shots really speak for themselves.

the jpeg artifacting errors aren't nearly as bad as they used to be.

5. tbyork2014

tbyork2014 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    We all know that Sony are leaders in the sensor arena but they have been lagging behind in their JPEG engine development. Canon is the total opposite, with main advances in their JPEG engine and noise reduction but lagging behind in sensor technology.

This latest firmware is very telling, as it is informing us that Sony are capable of upping their game in JPEG engine improvements. How often do we get an upgrade for free - which is exactly what this firmware provides. So now I would be happy to use up to ISO 12800, compared to previously when ISO 6400 was the max. Unfortunately I do not have any previous high ISO images for the Sony A6000 for comparison to see if there has been any advances in its JPEG engine.
    Boon
    www.myphotojourney.co.uk

6. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Awesome! Thanks for posting! I am going to try and update tonight [emoji2]