Sony A7R + 85/1.4 Zeiss + LA-EA4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tbyork2014, Aug 17, 2014.

1. tbyork2014

tbyork2014 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Thanks for sharing your impressions!

For their FE-mount 85mm prime IMHO Sony could do a lot worse than to dive into the Minolta archives and dig out the optical formula for the old MD 85mm 1:2. It's one of my all-time favorite lenses, now. (It's one of those elite pieces that makes me wonder why most other lenses aren't so easy to get such great results with...)

They probably wouldn't use the exact design - would almost certainly incorporate internal focus among other things - but IME it meets a good standard for portability and compactness. It even uses the 49mm filter thread which is great for those who already have the other primes with that same size.

Of course, if I were a betting man, I'd bet that the 85mm prime will be 1:1.8. (If the T-stop is somewhere close and that setting us fully usable, that would be plenty fast - and shallow - enough for me.)
  3. tbyork2014

tbyork2014 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    I agree that it is likely that the FE native 85mm will be F1.8 for cost and size reasons. If Sony are coming out with an F1.4 version, then I hope they improve the chromatic aberrations in the out of focus areas for portrait shooting. Otherwise I'm likely to shoot at F2.0, in which case the 85/1.8 would be a better lens to have.