Sony A7MKII and Canon 70-200 f4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by elandel, Oct 18, 2016.

1. elandel

elandel TalkEmount Regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Hi all. Here I am with another question about Canon lens and A7.2.
    My idea is, as soon as I get the money, to buy a 70-200 zoom. I know Sony has a native 70-200 f4 Oss but it is difficult to find here where I live at decent price. Was wondering how the Canon 70-200 f4 non is version would perform on the a7.2 that is stabilized.
    I ask because the difference is about 400/450 euros. Can the a7.2 stabilize this lens well or is it better to consider the is version? I also read that iq wise there is little if no difference between the two.
    Has anyone tried this non is version on this camera. For me it's important because end of month I'm planning a trip in Bulgaria and was wondering what lens to bring.
    I now have the 28-70 and 40mm Canon pancake but would like a longer reach lens. The Crista buy would be a wind angle zoom instead.
    Thanks.

2. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Go with the Canon. I have the same setup, the lens only cost $400 with better IQ. But if I remember correctly, you have the Fotodiox adapter. Well if you want to use this Canon lens, better get a Sigma MC-11 or Metabones IV.

3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I had the the Canon 70-200 f4 Non IS lens and used it on my A7R2 for a while. It worked fine, the cameras IS worked well with the lens although for most of the time I used highish shutter speeds to freeze the subject motion.
    AF is OK (I used a Fotodiox adaptor), quick enough for most static things but CAF wasn't that good for tracking moving objects.
    I eventually sold it and bought the Sony 70-300 f4.5-5.6 G lens.

4. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks. My Fotodiox will arrive tomorrow. Too late to change. Will it be so much better with Sigma or Metabones?

5. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks. I shoot mainly at static subjects on my trips: churches, landscapes etc. so I think it should be fine.
    My doubt is camera is. On the A7RII it should be better than the a7.2 or is it basically the same?

6. metalmania

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Since the Fotodiox is coming, well just try it then. If you like it, keep it. Otherwise, you can always go up with MC-11.

7. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Is MC-11 better than Fotodiox? I ask because I have a return policy but do not have the 70-200 to test it..

8. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I'm not certain but I think the IS is the same on both cameras.

9. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Hope so. Will so some research.

10. metalmania

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Well, MC-11 is better overall for other Canon EF mount lenses. For example the 40mm STM you asked before, it will work flawlessly on MC-11, not on Fotodiox.

11. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Seems like with these adapters there is much research and study to do. At the end of the day seems like you must habe at least two: Metabones and another choosing from Fotodiox MC Viltrox etc. :confused-69:

12. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    I habe a doubt. The MC-11 is Sigma, right? Brut I read that it is online compatible with Sigma lenses. What am I missing?

13. metalmania

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Of course Sigma will never say that their MC-11 is compatible with other brand EF lenses.

14. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Of course.:biggrin: But where can I find some sort of compatibility list list with other EF lenses? Canon for example.:biggrin:

15. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
  17. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    I am leaning towards the Canon 70-200 F/4 without IS.
    It seems a good deal.

18. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    I think that for now I'll have these two lenses: Canon 24-105 f4 and Canon 70-200 f4. I can get both used in good condition for less than a used Sony FE 70-200.

19. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Including the Metabones proper AF adapter? IMO, the comparison isn't fair - the FE 70-200 G f4 might be expensive I agree but don't be mistaken: its an awesome lens in every way, fast AF, modern design etc... Each to his own I guess but while I don't have anything against MF lenses (on the contrary I loved my Minolta MD lenses!), personally I'm not a fan of fiddly adapted af lenses that aren't reliable at their AF that in the end of the day force you to use them as MF lenses - if I was ok with that I'd just buy a manual focus lens from the beginning and also save money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    I'm sure it's an awesome lens but for now this is my budget. In the future who knows? As soon as I try it I'll let you know how it works.
    Tuesday I'll try the 70-200 with the adapter. Will give you feedback.