• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony A7Mii Control wheel problems

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
For some reason my wheel select buttons stopped working. The wheel will scroll/turn and highlight but the the center select button ISO/DISP and timer don't work. I've looked online and it's possible that I've inadvertently locked that button but I don't know how to unlock it. I've tried holding down the Fn button but that hasn't worked. Does anyone else experienced this ? It's possible that it just stopped working and needs to be replaced but this was a sudden thing.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Check in the menus, under the second "gear" icon, page 7, Dial / Wheel Lock. Although, flipping that did not seem to have the effect you described.

Perhaps the wheel control itself has failed, as you mentioned.

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Check in the menus, under the second "gear" icon, page 7, Dial / Wheel Lock. Although, flipping that did not seem to have the effect you described.

Perhaps the wheel control itself has failed, as you mentioned.
Yeah unfortunately it appears it has failed. I will bring it to a camera repair shop instead of the recommended shop from Sony, their ratings are atrocious and just don't trust to send my camera there. I thought about just getting a new one but this one is in immaculate condition besides the malfunction I just can't part with it yet. Will see what the estimate will be tomorrow.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Odd failure. Did you try a defaults reset? Also try removing the battery for a few days to allow the internal battery/capacitor to run down. That causes all the settings to be lost. Perhaps the camera got stuck in a strange 'state' and might come out of it.

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Odd failure. Did you try a defaults reset? Also try removing the battery for a few days to allow the internal battery/capacitor to run down. That causes all the settings to be lost. Perhaps the camera got stuck in a strange 'state' and might come out of it.
I'd love to try a default reset but without the use of that center wheel button I can scroll to those settings but I can't select it. It's so frustrating because even if I can't reset it I could set another button to take over the select feature, I'm right there but can't move any further if you know what I mean.

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Now that you mention that Will I think I'll do that and see what happens, removing the battery for a few days and see what happens, then I'll take it to a repair shop.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
For some reason I was inclined to search the internet a bit. In addition to the battery removal idea, I found this sequence. I cannot validate its accuracy or lack thereof, but it's pretty quick so maybe worth a shot.
* Switch camera off
* Take battery out
* Switch camera ON and then Off
* Put battery back
* Switch it ON

Let us know if something works.

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Thanks everyone, nothing seems to be working, will have to turn it in for repair, hopefully it's reasonable I'd love to keep for a while longer.

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Well the control wheel started working for a day and I did a reset and now none of the buttons work, looks like the issue is more serious than just the control wheel. I'm really upset about this, I take good care of my stuff, the camera is in immaculate condition no scratches at all and now I'm going to have to buy another one. I'm not one to keep updating to the newest stuff I keep things for a long time. I'm stuck with Sony with all the money I invested in lenses and adapters, this sucks.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Sorry to hear that. Might still be worth sending it in for an estimate. It could be something like a ribbon cable gone bad and thus not so expensive. But I suspect you may be closer to the truth of the matter.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I agree with Bob, could be some corrosion on a ribbon cable causing a short. Do you have any precision screwdrivers? If you feel brave, open the back up to access the wheel assembly. Try reseating its ribbon cable, Q-tip and alcohol cleaning the contacts. Maybe some liquid managed to seep into body.

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
How many shutter actuation's on this camera?
If I were to guess I'd say about 20k but not sure.
I agree with Bob, could be some corrosion on a ribbon cable causing a short. Do you have any precision screwdrivers? If you feel brave, open the back up to access the wheel assembly. Try reseating its ribbon cable, Q-tip and alcohol cleaning the contacts. Maybe some liquid managed to seep into body.
I'm going to try that tonight, I'll take a chance and take a look around, wish me luck :))

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
You can take the last shot and upload it here: https://www.camerashuttercount.com/
to find out for sure how many shots your camera has.
I just took my A7ii out of the backpack and found it has 12393 shots on it.
25280 actuations, thanks for that link !

The precision screwdrivers I have aren't small enough so tomorrow I'll go to HD and get some new one's and then take it apart.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
If you have a Harbor Freight close by, they have sets with the correct sizes and surprisingly good quality for the price.

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Well took it apart and it didn't go well. There was no corrosion or loose connections but I did end up damaging the ribbon from the LCD screen, now it doesn't work. B&H started a sale yesterday on the A7RII for $1298 so I ended up ordering it, should be here by the weekend.

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
The control wheel is easy to replace and I could've gotten the part for $18 but it seemed it was much more than the wheel, the other buttons would also stop working randomly I'd remove the battery and they would start working again, so off to Ebay for spare parts.
P4120037.jpg
E-M5    ---       f/1.0    1/40s    ISO 200

Latest posts

Top Bottom