Sony A7II - my first impressions - video link is coming to the unboxing event

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Ramirez, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 14, 2015
    I remember my first mirrorless camera; Olympus PEN E-P2.
    I loved the feel of the body; metallic body, black.
    I used that camera with a P14/2.5 lens a lot and a VF-3 EVF mounted on top of the camera.
    The feel of this camera coupled with P14 was great.
    IQ quite good but terrible low light performance and AF was really slow.

Fast forward to A7II:

It is a different camera than the E-P2 was. But I still got the 28mm view (FE 28/2) as the P14/2.5 gave me.
    I just snapped a couple of pictures, my first ones ever with this camera. I liked them a lot.
    The sound when shooting is quieter than the E-P2 shutter sound.
    I like the metallic feel of the body, takes me back to my nostalgic E-P2.
    For a full frame camera, for me, the size is perfect. I wouldn't want a smaller body when working with adapted Nikon lenses. The grip is just right!
    The menu seems straight forward, had no problems finding what I needed even if it's my first time ever with a Sony camera.
    I feel that this camera will be even a better friend to me than even the E-P2 ever was.
    A7II and I will get along really well :)

Link to unboxing will come as soon as I have edited the video taken with GH4 in 4K.

I am happy that I ordered this jewel of cameras - the great Sony A7II!

• Like Like x 3
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats!!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    More impressions:

Wow! I love the AF speed and accuracy of the A7II.
    I don't find my Nikon D610 any faster in real situations.

This seems to become a dangerous situation for my economic situation...
    I can suddenly imagine an FE 55/1.8, FE 35/2.8 and on and on slinking into my camera bag.

Must resist, I must resist the Sony Sirens... Luring the poor seaman into their nest.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Haha, don't forget the 70-200 G f/4, the 16-35, the 90 macro............the list goes on and on :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, funny how the "Yabbut, there's no lenses" cry hasn't been heard much lately. :p

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Congratulations Ramirez. I have the 55/1.8 and I must say it's one sharp lens!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I just picked up the 28, tried the tamaron 28-75 2.8 with the commlite adapter. Was not impressed. So it went back and I got the 28. No regrets.

It's going to be a slippery slope my friend.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    I am getting more impressed with A7II for each time I'm using it.

Pro:s abort A7II vs my other cameras:

Vs Nikon D610 = for my real life situations; A7II fast enough, eq to D610 for my real situations. Smaller and easier to carry with small lens. D610 better with bigger lenses though.
    IQ about the same, at least what I've seen now.

Vs Fujifilm X100 = much faster AF. To my eyes, whatever testers say, I find the files cleaner. Lower native ISO.
    Easier to work with due to fast AF and better video.

Vs Panasonic GH4 = GH4 got the 4K upperhand. Otherwise it's full frame vs m4/3. Easier to get that shallow dof. And 5-axis upperhand for A7II (that upperhand is the same againt all other cameras here)

Vs Panasonic LX100 = Only plus point for LX100 is 4K video. All the rest goes to A7II.

Conclusion:

My A7II is my new daily camera!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    I just uploaded the images taken with A7II to my iMac. Wow! I am amazed!
    All RAW uploaded to Capture One for Sony.
    I been taking some nature photos and tonight I had a video/photo gig of a concert.
    I used my GH4 on tripod for videography only. No demand for 4K in this gig so I used A7II as my handheld b-cam for video and A-cam for photos!
    These photos amazed me! No need for Nikon D610 now.
    The quality of the images that A7II produces, if the photographer knows what he is doing, is absolutely stunning.
    I could not get these photos with my Fuji X100s, not with the Panasonics I have. I don't know if I even could get these kind of photos with Nikon D610 (as people shy away from the big DSLR).
    AF worked smoothly and rapidly, and this was concert low light.
    The highest ISO used was ISO 8000; and when looking on the iMac screen I see a lot of detail still there, noise of course. But noise I can handle when working the RAW files.
    A7II is really a miracle camera!

I am going to share some of these images as soon as I have had time to edit them.

10. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    Tried manual focus with peaking together with Nikkor 50/f1.8G today.
    It is really easy to nail focus even wide open! This is the first time ever I felt comfortable with MF. Sonys implementation of focus peaking is really clever.
    It going to be fun to try cheap lenses with adapters.
    5 axis IBIS is also amazing; I set IBIS manually to 50 mm and shoot at 1/8s with no problems at all. Maybe I can go slower, gonna find out :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    Just ordered Gariz halfcase in brown for my Sony A7 II.
    As I see my Sony A7 II as my new daily cam (replacing my Fuji X100s as daily cam), the halfcase will give the body some protection from wear and tear, when putting the camera down on tables etc. Easier to live with in everyday situations when you know that you've given it some extra protection.
    So in minimalistic situations, when I don't want to bring along alot of photo gear;
    I'll just use A7II with halfcase and FE 28/2, spare battery in a pocket - and then I'm off :)
    This will probebly be the configuration I'll use most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren

Attached Files:

13. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    Pics are coming! I promise :)

I have just got around using Capture One for Sony. I´ve uploaded RAW images and will upload some; in a day or two.
    I have never used Capture One before, which means a slight Learning curve. But pics are coming, and video link too!

14. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I made the mistake of going to a store and handling one of these camera bodies.

I feel assimilation is beginning to happen... =:>(

15. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Thanks for the warning :) I'll try not to make that mistake.
    How infectious is it? By contact only? Or is it airborne too?

16. Ramirez

Oct 14, 2015
    By sight... Don't look at it.. A7 something.. Blinders on and run for your life!
    And don't read this thread, it's contagiuos :crying:

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. FelixKH

FelixKH TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 8, 2015
    Felix
    I too just got a 2nd hand A7II on Monday. Trying to get used to the camera. Got the FE55/1.8 from another seller on the same day too.

Was going to use dated Pentax manual lenses on it ,but got poisoned by a friend to get the 55/1.8