Sony A7ii compatible USB cables for FW update

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Roscoe, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Roscoe

Roscoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Sony seems to make a big deal of updating FW with "supplied USB cables". My camera was bought used WITHOUT cables. Every firmware update with Fuji and Pentax was always done off the memory card, so this is a new thing to me, and fits in the "Who knew?" department.

Clearly most folks received these cables with their cameras, but perhaps I'm not the only one in this category. I've read the Brian Smith article; I've read Sony's instructions; and I'd love to move from 3.1 to 3.2. Appreciate any advice on the cables. It's clearly not a rush... but gee... I do have a ton of USB cables lying around!!!

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't want to scare you, but with all the horror stories I've read about Sony's firmware updates (bricking cameras etc), personally I wouldn't risk a FW update with either a 3rd party battery or a non oem usb cable....on the other hand, I can't imagine how a non official Sony usb cable is different with an official one :confused-69:

• Like Like x 2
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Seems to me I upgraded my Nex-7 software with the card since I don't have cables either.
    You'd think that all USB cables are the same since the connectors are the same and USB stands for Universal Serial Bus if I'm not mistaken. Shouldn't all connections be the same then? I'm no expert by any means, but that is how I understand a 'standard' is supposed to work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    FWIW, have since found a thread where Brian Smith wrote a Sony specific micro cable isn't necessary. That's a relief!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've updated firmware on my old NEX-6, A7, and my current A7II with whatever USB cable I had within easy reach. Never had a problem. Maybe I'm lucky, but I think most of these warnings from Sony are just CYA lawyer speak.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I think it would have been foolish of Sony to supply cables saying they were "USB Cables" if they weren't in fact USB compatible with everything else out there. Marking a proprietary cable as such would have had big repercussions for them as well as users.
    I'm sure it gives them some sort of 'out' though if you mess up a download while not using a Sony cable, but who's to know?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Seemingly there are USB cables around that do not connect all pins, e.g. cables that are meant to charge a device without having to support any other communication; Brian Smith warned for that in Tip #6 of his blog post about firmware updates.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's exactly what I was thinking :)

9. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    So I've done my update using a plain old micro USB to USB 2.0 cable from BestBuy. Had plenty of these guys on hand, but what the heck... throw a little caution in there to make sure you have a data cable. Read this as any microUSB to USB 2.0 phone cable - 'cause that's the part of BestBuy where they sell these things, and we use these cables to update power and data. And it worked flawlessly. I'm now on 3.2. Not sure why it matters, but here we are.

So here's a question I won't ask on my old Fuji-x-Forum site: "Does anyone really believe that Fuji is the only Kaizen managed company?" Here's firmware 3.2 for Sony. Bitter ex-Sony folks seem to slam Sony for pushing hardware over software, but we also have the rumor out there that Sony is planning to update ALL the menus on these Sony A7-M2 series cameras. Nice, sweet... even if I don't want it or think I need it, I like that Sony thinks it's worthwhile.

10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I think the difference has more to do with one company has been a photography company for as long as one can remember....while the other is a consumer electronics company moving into selling high end cameras.

11. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I think it's really cool that Sony can update an already existing platform and make it more useful for it's owner's via a software update. Some software update in the future might be something they (or we) haven't even thought of yet but the hardware is fully capable of performing.

12. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Don't make such a big deal of it. Either cable works, or not. Some have a bit longer micro USB connector which seems to be a problem for Sony.

I have upgraded camera with the first one that worked - let's say I have more then 20 micro USB cables, who knows from what device, all lay in one bunch. :) Don't be so scared, with wrong cable camera won't even start upgrade, software will not detect it properly. If it detects it, it will work. I also don't mind using Chinese batteries, have 3 spares, or maybe 4, very cheap. A bit smaller capacity, but price was really low, like 10x less then OEM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Interesting discussion. Nidza's comments makes sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Guess I should close this thread with the note that I managed the update with a regular BestBuy USB cable. No problems at all.

• Like Like x 3
  15. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Of course you did. USB cables are the same, either work either not.

There might be a difference in amperage, not all USB cables can quickly charge, but this is completely different topic.

16. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Glad that everything worked out well for you.

17. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    FWIW: Perhaps we can finally put to rest the mis-information regarding whether or not Sony cables are necessary by stating clearly and affirmitively - not simply for ourselves, but for all - and that even Sony "authorities" on Sony's A7 line of cameras like Brian Smith confirm that there is absolutely no reason to be concerned about using data cables that are not made by Sony. "So be it!"

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sure, and right after that we can put to rest all the misinformation about cleaning our camera's sensors. :laugh:

Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1